**Many thanks to BLACK+DECKER for sponsoring today’s story and introducing me to the AutoSense Drill and its automatic clutch!**
A few years ago I did a DIY outdoor table using some scrap decking from my neighbors. It was a Roadkill Rescue challenge, so I was supposed to use something that was free. The table has held up but after 4 years it was time for a new top. The sides were sagging and it was just really sad looking!
I re-purposed the base by simply removing the top. Here’s the basics for how I made it:
I started by making a box from 2×4′s. (They were originally stairs to a play structure.) I cut three at 21″ and two at 54″. I assembled them using 3″ deck screws, longer boards on the outside and the shorter boards on the inside with one in the middle for support. Use a square on the corners to make sure they are “square.” I used deck posts (4×4′s) for the legs. I cut four at 28″, then used a level to make sure the legs are “plumb.” That means straight! I also added supports in-between the legs, using lag bolts. You can see the full set of instructions in the original post.
To freshen it up a bit, I painted it a distressed white.
The new top was VERY simple to construct! I bought (2) 12 ft. pieces of treated 2×10’s. (You can find them with the decking materials at most hardware stores.)
I cut each piece of wood in half (at the 6 ft. mark). Then used a pocket jig (also purchased at most hardware stores). I worked my way down one side of each board starting at 2″ from the end for the first set and then every 6″. You should only do this on 3 of the boards, leave one without the pocket holes.
Then I laid the pieces out on a flat surface and screwed them together using 2 1/2″ screws.
It should look like the picture below, when you are finished.
For added support while I was moving it, I attached a piece of scrap wood on each end.
I used a tape measure to center the new top on the base, then used a square to make sure everything was straight.
To secure the the top to the base, I used “L” brackets coming off of each leg.
The new top is so much more sturdy and I only spent around $35 for the wood and screws.
The top took about an hour to construct, so if you were making this table from start to finish, expect it to take about 2 hours.
Now we have a large, STURDY table that we can eat at on nice evenings!