Transfer Images Using Wax Paper: Tutorial

by Angela on September 1, 2011

Wax Paper Image Transfer Tutorial from Unexpected Elegance

I have been playing around with a lot of mediums lately, one being iron on transfers.  I had bought some the other day, but they are pretty expensive if you only make one item per sheet.  So I thought I would try an alternative.  The only thing I had around was wax paper, so I gave it a try and it worked GREAT!  See how I used wax paper to transfer an image:

Transfer with Wax Paper

I am betting that I’m not the first person to try this, but if you have never tried it, here are a few things I took away from trial and error.

I used an old wooden pizza peel, wax paper, an inkjet printer and a credit card.

I found that if you wet the wood a little, it would make the transfer darker.  Just make sure it’s not too wet, then the ink will run (a happy balance).

Cut the wax paper to the size of printer paper.

I used a graphic from The Graphics Fairy…she has the BEST blog!!  Check it out for some really great stuff!

You will need to reverse the image.   Most computers have the program Paint. If you aren’t sure just do a search for it in your start bar. Open the picture you want to flip, then go to Image in the top bar. There is a drop-down option for Flip/Rotate. That should reverse the image for you.

Put the wax paper in the printer and make sure it’s under the rollers, but not too far in.  If you put it on top of printer paper, you can use the paper as a guide on how far the wax paper needs to be in the printer.

Stand close to the printer and help guide the wax paper out.  OH, and make sure there are no wrinkles!!  It can cause the wax paper to get jammed.

You will have to work quickly, but once you set the wax paper down you CAN NOT move it.

Try to line up the paper then gently lay it on the surface you want to transfer it to.  Holding the wax paper firmly down, use a credit card to gently scrap the surface.

Wax paper Tutorial for How to Transfer ImagesThen carefully remove the paper.  It will still have ink, so be careful not to drag it.

Here are the two sides of the board, the first one is without getting the board wet and the second one is damp.  You can see that the second is much darker but the paper moves easily so it smeared a little.  It all depends on the look you want.

This project takes about 10 minutes and is super cheap.  I think I will be using this A LOT.  It works on fabric too, but the thread has to be really tight for the best results.

Hopefully, I have taught you something you didn’t know! ;)

~Angela

You can find out how to seal your transfer HERE!

How to Seal Ink from a Wax Paper Transfer

{ 327 comments… read them below or add one }

fran September 2, 2011 at 12:12 am

Well, you did teach me something I didn’t know. I’m alwasy looking for new transfer methods. I think both sides of your board look nice. Thanks for sharing. (Found you at At the Picket Fence).

Rebecca September 2, 2011 at 12:16 am

Girl! Cheap and cool! Right up my alley! I love it! Love, Me

Kim September 2, 2011 at 2:37 am

That looks so good. Great directions, too. I love old pizza peels and am looking for some truly old ones. Thanks for sharing at WOW.

Amy-Thrifty Treasure Hunter September 2, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I saw you on “You’re Talking Too Much” linky party…wow, I have some wood cutting boards & wax paper already, WOO HOO, Thanks!

I need some more followers on my blog too, If you follow me, I’d be very grateful.

Thanks,
Amy

Brittany (aka Pretty Handy Girl) September 2, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Very cool project and great tutorial! I have one question, did you use an inkjet or laser printer?

Brittany

Angela September 2, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Brittany, sorry I forgot to include that! It is an inkjet printer. I will add that to my directions…THANKS!

Kim February 27, 2012 at 2:59 am

Definitely use inkjet. A laser printer will melt the waxed paper!

Lorie September 30, 2012 at 3:45 am

Ours is a Brother inkjet printer and it did not work…all it managed to do was make it where we needed to clean the printer about 5 times before we could manage to get even halfway decent copies out again. Thanks for the directions though. Enjoyed trying it!

Angela September 30, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Lorie, sorry it didn’t work for you. If you have any empty label pages with the waxy film, they work too.

Pamela October 12, 2012 at 8:49 pm

What so you mean by a label page? Sorry I’m not sure what that is.

Linda July 16, 2013 at 10:55 pm

label paper is the wax paper left over once all the labels are removed AND it’s already the correct size for the printer. Great way to use and reuse :) I’ll have to try this.

HeHe July 17, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Brother printers are WAAAAAY to weak to take on thin materials like wax paper.

ColleenwithMurals&More September 3, 2011 at 1:35 am

I’m glad Brittany asked that question. So many transfers only work with lasers. Can’t wait to give this a try! I’d never heard of it and love trying new things. Thanks so much!

Karen September 3, 2011 at 4:43 am

I suppose you would have to reverse print the letters so that they would transfer correctly?

Angela September 3, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Karen, yes you would have to reverse the letters. If you are using The Graphics Fairy, most of the time she has a transfer image attached.

Coriann February 29, 2012 at 7:53 am

how can you reverse the print?

Angela February 29, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Coriann,
That’s actually a common question!! I need to update my post. Most computers have the program “Paint.” If you aren’t sure just do a search for it in your start bar. Open the picture you want to flip, then go to “Image” in the top bar. There is a drop-down option for “Flip/Rotate.” That should reverse the image for you. Hopefully that will help!

Coriann March 2, 2012 at 5:49 am

Thank you…. Once you said something I was able to figure it out right away! and the sad part is that it was so simple i dont know why i didnt figure it out on my own

Amanda July 8, 2012 at 7:42 am

Most printers have, once you hit file print, preferences they have an option to print as mirror. this is an easier option. Check your printer settings first.

Kathy April 11, 2012 at 3:53 pm

You should add this tidbit to the directions. “Reversing the image” was my first question, and having never worked with transfers before, had no idea that there might be an option to download a “transfer image”, or even that you could reverse an image using “Paint”. Thanks for sharing, though…we’re moving to a new house that we have to renovate, soon, and I imagine I will be using lots of these kind of tips.

Angela April 11, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Kathy, I will add it to the instructions. Thanks!!

Sue September 5, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Sounds like an easy peasy project, Angela, and it has such a great result! Your peel looks wonderful. I had misplaced the tutorial I previously had for a transfer- this is easier. I’ll be sure to look for you at CL in a few weeks.
:-) Sue

kim@too much time September 5, 2011 at 8:18 pm

You are BRILLIANT! I can’t wait to give this one a try. Thanks for the great tute and tips, girl!

Sarah September 5, 2011 at 11:35 pm

Great idea! You are a clever lady, Angela. I popped over from BJ’s blog. Glad to find you. I’m now following.
I’m interested in one of the cheese dome/plates like BJ bought. Do you still sell these?
~ Sarah

Angela September 6, 2011 at 12:27 am

Sarah, that was the only one I had. If I ever see anything else like it, I’ll let you know!

Project Queen (Mandy) September 6, 2011 at 3:13 am

Thanks for the transfer tutorial. I have yet to try this, but it’s on my list!
I am your newest follower and plan on linking to the Transfer Link Party this week.
Thank you for sharing.
Mandy

Jann Olson September 6, 2011 at 4:44 am

Hi, just found your blog. Loved your instructions! I have been wanting to try this. I actually liked both looks, the paler one looks very vintage. I am now a new follower.

Stacey@A Sort Of Fairytale September 13, 2011 at 4:21 am

definitely trying this! you’re a genius!! :)

Deborah September 24, 2011 at 9:43 pm

That is a cool transfer method. I really want to try that on some things. Is it washable? I was thinking of using it on a rolling butcher block cart, but it would obviously need to be wiped off frequently.

Angela September 26, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Deborah, I tried it with water and it didn’t fade, but I didn’t use soap. I don’t know how well it would work on a surface that you use. If it is just on a part that you wipe periodically, it might work. You’ll have to let me know what you decide! :)

Christian September 30, 2011 at 12:17 am

Would this work on t-shirts?

Angela October 1, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Christian, I haven’t tried it on t-shirts, but it worked on a tea towel. I havent’ washed it yet, though. Let me know if you try it!

Dorothy Miller June 12, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I tried it on a dish towel, works wonderfully, Bad news is it washes out. I wonder how you could set the ink, tried iron but that didnt work. Any ideas?

Angela June 25, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Dorothy, I’m really not sure? I wonder if soaking it in vinegar might help. (Not sure if it would bleed?) Sorry, I’m not much help!

Jennifer February 2, 2013 at 8:22 am

I did this on my kitchen towels. I scanned some of my kids old artwork, transferred the image as she instructed, then traced with a marker to “set”. It was easy to transfer, washes perfectly and I have their artwork to keep forever. Hope this helps.

Pumpkin Pie Painter October 7, 2011 at 2:36 pm

This is GREAT!!! I didn’t know about this!! I missed the transfer party. :( The links were all gone for me to see, too. I wonder why? You have a fun blog! :)

The enchanted home October 24, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Hi found you through Kathysue and you are brilliant! I love love love this idea and am going to give it a try. You make it look so easy, I just love the finished product, it looks like an old cutting board from a chateau in France!! Fabulous and so happy to discover your blog.
Stop by doing an amazing giveawawy for the most beautiful French telephone table!!

Andrea November 13, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Wow , it is an understatement If say I love this project!On my list already!!thanks!

Peggy November 14, 2011 at 12:52 am

Hi I found you on Pinterest. What a great easy way to transfer. I had thought of wax paper before but never tried it now I will. Did you try it on painted furniture? Thanks for great tutorial I’m a new follower.

Carrie November 14, 2011 at 1:42 am

have you tried it on canvas? Just wondering if it works on other mediums.

Dawn July 8, 2012 at 2:40 pm

I was wondering the same thing.

Angela July 8, 2012 at 7:35 pm

I haven’t tried it in canvas, but my guess is it would work. It hust needs a fairly flat and stable surface.

Cherie November 14, 2011 at 4:38 am

I found this floating around on pinterest and followed the link back to here. I dont know you but I sure do love you for thinking of this. Muah!

Kim November 14, 2011 at 4:58 am

omgosh..i am so super excited to try this…I have some wooden signs i want to make for my home. have you tried with different colors?or onto painted surfaces?

Lorrie November 14, 2011 at 6:22 am

Great tips, I’m always searching for cheap easy ways to do transfers, I will be trying this out! Thanks

kristin November 14, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I love this idea!!! The boards are so cute!
XO
Kristin

Kandee November 14, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Love this idea! Do you know if it will work on a painted surface?

ms marigold October 9, 2013 at 3:48 pm

I just tried this on a surface that I painted with Annie Sloan’s Chalk Paint. It worked like a charm.

Angela October 14, 2013 at 7:40 pm

I’m so glad!!!

Teri November 14, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Great idea! I love the rustic look :)

Ashley Marie November 14, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Would you have to reverse the image before printing it out so that the ink is on the side of the wood?? I’m confused by how it works but i love the idea! Thanks!! :)

Angela November 14, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Ashely, yes you have to reverse the image. Most programs have the option, but if you get the image from Graphics Fairy she normally has a transfer option.

Nana Diana November 15, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Well, who said you couldn’t teach an old dog new tricks!? I found you through Kristen and I am your newest follower. I have a new grandbaby contest going on today (yesterday’s post) Pop by and take a guess if you have the chance. Hugs- Diana

sam November 15, 2011 at 8:21 pm

What a great idea, I am going to have to give this a go. I was also wondering that you may be able to make the board more washable by using a heat gun and then the wax would melt into the board, not sure if this would work or not, just an idea!!

Angela November 15, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Sam, I was thinking that butcher’s wax might work. I haven’t given it a try, yet.

Fishtail Cottage November 15, 2011 at 9:51 pm

i’m in love with this idea…..thank you for sharing the tutorial as well….humm, something i’m going to consider trying. i love the way yours looks all gathered behind your stove & how convieniently accesible. oxox, tracie

Kim H November 16, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Found you through Pinterest and I love it. I was wondering if it would work on wood that has been sealed or if maybe you could seal the wood over it?

Angela November 17, 2011 at 1:13 am

Kim, I think sealing it would be OK. I haven’t tried it, but as long it’s clear it should work.

Laura Putnam November 18, 2011 at 3:01 am

I hope you don’t mind, but I am sharing this over at my blog tonight – thanks for the great inspiration! Take care, Laura

Beth November 23, 2011 at 10:16 am

To get the wax paper easily through the printer, adhere the wax paper to a piece of printer paper with repositional adhesive spray.

Angela November 24, 2011 at 2:43 am

Thanks, Beth! I had thought about trying that, but didn’t have any at the time. I am assuming it will work with printing directly onto fabric, too? Have you tried using it on fabric?

Gail November 27, 2011 at 2:11 am

How do you reverse the print? I’ve asked several people and none have been able to help me. I love this idea and cant wait to try it!

Angela November 30, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Gail, I had some trouble figuring that out too! Most computers have the program “Paint.” If you aren’t sure just do a search for it in your start bar. Open the picture you want to flip, then go to “Image” in the top bar. There is a drop-down option for “Flip/Rotate.” That should reverse the image for you. Hopefully that will help!

Laura Bonucchi November 29, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Hi Angela,
Is this Pizza tray still usable? Or is it intended to be just for decoration now? How permanent is the transfer?

I was wondering if you sprayed it with Crystal Clear if it could be usable after wards.
Great idea, it is very cute. I was thinking this would be a good gift idea for my mom.
Thanks,
Laura

Angela November 30, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Laura, I had orginally made it just for decorative purposes. I tried sanding off the first one I did, and had some issue. I would say it’s pretty permanent. :) I am not familiar with Crystal Clear, is it food safe? Good luck with your gift, I hope it turns out great!

Carrie Hampton December 5, 2011 at 6:53 pm

So smart & clever. Thanks for sharing …. found you via Pinterest.
Cheers!
Carrie
lifestylefilesblog.com

brittany December 6, 2011 at 9:52 am

hmm..would this work for transferring onto plastic?

Angela December 6, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Brittany, I haven’t tried that!! Let me know if you do and it works! :)

Amber D. December 7, 2011 at 4:56 am

I tried this. The printer kept eating my wax paper. I even tried taping it to a piece of computer paper. Giving up. lol

Morgan January 28, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Amber –

Try ironing the wax paper to a regular sheet. Just do the corners where you are not printing and put a towel between the iron and the wax paper. This will give the wax paper the heft of the printer paper.

Another idea – if you look into the printer from the output slot – can you see rollers? Is there a way to prop the rollers up with cut up zip ties? I have an Epson and to print on non-Epson paper (like transparancies) I had to use cut up zip ties to lift the rollers out of the way so they would not touch the paper.

In the case of the Epson there is a bar to wedge my tie on to lift the roller.

Anyway – I hope that makes sense and works for you!

April December 7, 2011 at 5:18 am

First off, great tutorial! Thanks so much for sharing! Second I was reading a few of the comments and wanted to mention that I have printed directly onto fabric before using an inkjet printer (same idea cut freezer paper to the size of printer paper and iron the wax side to the the fabric then run it through) anyhow, it you soak it in vinegar, it sets the ink, but for some strange reason it only works on the black ink…the color inks dissolved off. about sealing the wood after doing this, lowe’s carries sealers in a spray paint and you can’t get either gloss or matte…I would imagine that those would be your best bet to keep the ink from running when you seal it…I don’t know how well they work because I haven’t used them yet, but just wanted to mention that they may be a better option that using a brush…anywho, sorry if those ??? were already answered by other readers…I didn’t read all the comments, but just wanted to throw in my two cents! Thanks again for the great tute!

April December 7, 2011 at 5:19 am

btw I meant to say you ***can*** get them in the spray paint form…

Michell @ Girl In Air December 7, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Brilliant!!

Joy December 10, 2011 at 6:05 am

Brilliant, Angela! Great tutorial – you make it look so easy. The pizza peel turned out beautifully, too. I found you on Pinterest and have repinned this to my Crafts and DIY board. Thanks so much, Lady!
xoxo
Joy

Rachel with The Curious Crow January 4, 2012 at 4:18 am

For those of you who still aren’t sure about how to print lettering in reverse – Most printers will have an option in the print dialogue box. For my HP printer, you click on Preferences (on the main dialogue box); Click on the “Finishing” tab, and then select the “Mirror Image” check box.

In Photoshop, you just transfer your image horizontally (or just the layer that your text is on if you don’t want any images reversed as well).

Hope this helps!

Bernice Patterson January 7, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Looks like a great idea, can’t wait to try it,wonderful instructions also.
Thanks

Robin January 8, 2012 at 10:11 am

Saw this on Pinterest! Very cool!

Darla Thompson January 8, 2012 at 9:25 pm

I really enjoyed watching this project. Very easy to follow instructions. Thank you.

Sommer January 29, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Hi there! Just found your page through the graphics fairy =) I was wondering if this same technique would work with a laser printer? I don’t have an inkjet =(

stacey February 20, 2012 at 1:50 am

I imagine that the wax paper wouldn’t even go through the machine. It would probably jam. Laser printers are pretty persnickety.

charlotte wilson January 29, 2012 at 10:54 pm

thanks so much! I am going to try this soon!

Sharon January 30, 2012 at 12:59 am

Thanks for this. I too have discovered the Graphics Fairy and really love her artwork. This week I used it for the first time on a miniature stool I found that already had old paint on it. I sanded it back to a shabby look and used the Mod Podge method to transfer the French letter design. I’ll try your method next time. To see the stool I made over, go to http://irestorestuff.blogspot.com/. Thanks.

Jen February 11, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Would this work on glass?

Angela February 13, 2012 at 12:42 am

Jen, I havent’ tried it? My thought is it would wipe off. If you weren’t going to use water on it, it might work? Let me know if you try it!!

vanya angelo February 12, 2012 at 1:39 am

MUITO OBRIGADA! ESTOU ENCANTADA! PARABÉNS!

Shannon February 15, 2012 at 3:18 am

I was unsuccessful with this project. Will have to find another way to do transfers.

Angela February 15, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Shannon, sorry to hear that! It can be a little tricky. Hopefully you will have more luck with some of the other methods! :(

Dominique McArthur February 15, 2012 at 9:46 pm

I love this idea and can’t wait to try it. Does it matter which side of the waxed paper you use? Thanks for the idea and the great Graphics Fairy tip, she is wonderful!

Barbara Murphy February 17, 2012 at 2:30 am

Thanks for the info! I’m going to try this with fabric for my next custom made purse!

angela February 18, 2012 at 10:26 pm

help me!!! I love this transfer via wax paper, and I finally learned today how to open it in ‘Paint’ to flip it…but now it prints so small, I’ve made several attempts to try and enlarge it via ‘Paint’ but it still comes out too small. but I can clearly see this is gonna work out, once I get the drift of it. thanks………..

Angela February 20, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Angela, I’m not sure what version of Paint you have but under “Image” there should be a “Resize” option. You should be able to increase the size with this option. If you can’t get it to work, let me know and I can do it for you! :)
Just shoot me an e-mail: unexpectedelegance@gmail.com

Kelly February 20, 2012 at 6:06 pm

I did this! And I recomend NOT doing this in a laser jet! I absolutly ruined mine. My husband explained that laser jets heat up SO much that the wax melts and then hardens in the rollers. We have now bought a ink jet so we will see. I am a little hesitant though!

Jaime February 23, 2012 at 1:27 am

Just tried this on an old wood cutting board and it came out awesome! Thanks for the great idea! It was super easy to do!

Angela February 27, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I’M SO GLAD!! I’ve heard lots of people tell me how it didn’t work and I was getting worried that maybe I shouldn’t have posted about it. Thanks for letting me know and I would love to see a picture if you get a chance. My e-mail is unexpectedelegance@gmail.com

leigh February 26, 2012 at 4:57 am

had a question…love this idea and have tried it several times….the ink always bubbles on the wax paper and no matter how careful i am it smears badly on dry or damp wood….so much that it doesnt look good at all….am i doing something wrong? anyone have any ideas??

Angela February 27, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Leigh, I’m not sure about the bubbling. Are you using an ink jet or laser printer? I have heard that laser printers get too hot (might be the problem?). The smearing is something that is pretty tricky. I normally hold the paper at top and bottom and slowly lay it down, top to bottom. If you have someone to help, hold it securely as you lay it down and have the other person scrap it with the card. Hopefully, that will help!

leigh February 28, 2012 at 2:00 am

Thanks for responding!!

we have an inkjet printer, its a few months old if that has any bearing on the way it works….i get alot of bubbles on the surface of the paper, maybe if i am just extra careful i can transfere the image without smearing! I really love this idea!!

Lorraine June 12, 2012 at 2:56 pm

maybe try printing on “Draft” You should get less ink that way.

Kaye February 26, 2012 at 5:50 am

Awesome idea! I can’t wait to give this a try. I have been very disappointed with the Citri-Solv method. I hope it will feed through my printer. . . I have one of the newer one that does not allow hand feeds. :(

Angela February 27, 2012 at 5:29 pm

I’ll cross my fingers for you!! ;) Let me know if it works, I am looking for some successful projects to feature!

mommylovesix February 27, 2012 at 2:56 pm

I am guessing that you will need to print your graphic in mirror reverse if it word at least right? Love this btw!! I will be trying it out soon!!

Angela February 27, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Yes, you will have to reverse the image. I would love to know how it turns out!

Janet March 2, 2012 at 6:28 am

Wow, the print looks amazing! I’ve never seen this before and am pretty excited now to try it out! Thanks so much for sharing the tutorial. :)

Angela March 2, 2012 at 4:05 pm

You’re welcome!! Let me know if you try it!

Doris Gagner March 2, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Did you try this on glass?

Angela March 2, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Doris, I haven’t tried it on glass. My thought is that it won’t stick because the surface needs to be porous…but it’s worth a shot! Let me know if you decide to try it!

Mrs. Limestone March 6, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Love this! Thanks for sharing.

Angela March 8, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Thanks Mrs. Limestone!! I was so happy to see your comment…it made my day! :)

Deborah Rowden March 21, 2012 at 2:41 am

I loved this idea, but I was having a lot of trouble with the waxed paper not feeding through the printer. After several tries (some of which worked fine but others which jammed up the printer), I found a solution which is easier to work with AND foolproof. I took a sheet of clear “overhead” printer sheets (teachers use them to print something for students to see on an overhead projector). It is rough on one side and smooth on the other. I printed on the smooth side. Perfect! And the ink washes off so it can be re-used!

Angela March 26, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Thanks for trying it out! I have used transparencies too, but this is just for someone who only has household things and no budget!;) Sorry, it didn’t work out for you!!

Maureen March 25, 2012 at 7:31 pm

I love this and must try it! I’ve printed on fabric before and I taped the fabric to a piece card stock to stabilize it. Worked perfectly.

P.S. I hope you don’t mind if I add it to my Pinterest board. If you do, let me know and I will take it down.

Angela March 25, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Maureen, I would love for you to share it!
Thanks!
Angela

Lanna March 29, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Have you ever tried this on glass?

Angela March 29, 2012 at 10:00 pm

I haven’t? Not sure about it drying? Let me know if you try it!

melissa April 6, 2012 at 2:03 am

Theres a better way…use regular printer paper…reverse the image before you print (print options) Place paper on wood or what ever you want image on. Tape in place. Brush paper with wet paintbrush… enough to wet but not to tear paper. Then take sharpie pen CAP and rub transfer – gently not to tear paper. Go in both directions with cap. I can email u a pic of the wooden plaques I did. Not to dark, not to light. No smearing. Perfect !

Sarah July 14, 2012 at 7:21 pm

This method did not work for me. I tried 2 different printers and the ink isn’t coming out dark enough on my wood. I can’t wait to try the wax paper method

Jeanne April 8, 2012 at 4:45 am

Have you tried this on painted furniture (or any painted surface)? I would like to transfer an image to a painted table top

Angela April 9, 2012 at 12:06 am

Jeanne, I haven’t tried it but I know it’s possible because others have commented about doing it. good luck with your project!

Lorane April 8, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Hi! This is great – remember doing something similar as a child. That was many many years ago. Anyway, you are so artistic, wondering if you know a technique such as this that would transfer onto glass? I am working on a project and need something really vintage looking on a picture frame glass. Well, best to you and your artistic endeavors! Lorane, txwoodcarver.

Angela April 9, 2012 at 12:09 am

Lorane, I don’t have any suggestions for glass. I know you can buy glass paint. If it’s an image you could paint, you could just put the image behind the glass and trace it in paint. Good luck! Let me know how it turns out.

JenCozz April 10, 2012 at 3:40 am

I love this! Will definitely have to try it!

Angela April 10, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Jen, let me know if you do! :)

Lissa April 11, 2012 at 4:16 pm

ok i know i am a bit late to the party but i have been decorating my sons room and wanted to see if it would work on a wall over paint (just for the ‘stencil’) and then paint over the top of it just so that its right…before i try it do you think it may work??

Angela April 11, 2012 at 6:08 pm

I haven’t tried it myself, but I’m pretty sure it work. That might have to be my next project! :)

Sabrina April 17, 2012 at 5:56 pm

I tried this and gave up on trying to get the wax paper to go through my inkjet printer. Instead I printed it on my regular computer paper (reversed) and put it on my wood cutting board. I took a wet washrag and put it on top of paper like you would a temporary tattoo. Then I took my iron on the highest setting and went over the rag until was almost dry. The results were about like your paddle without water. Even though the methods weren’t exactly the same I still wanted to thank you for giving me the idea. I love my new cutting board!

Angela April 17, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Sabrina, I’m so glad you found a way to make it work! I know some other people have had trouble with this method too, so it’s refreshing to know you worked through it!! :)

kelli April 20, 2012 at 5:46 pm

My printer ate up the wax paper. I can’t imagine it doesn’t do that to everyone. I also tried the regular paper, wet cloth and iron method and nothing. Im getting frustrated bc i have a graphic i need to get placed on a painted table. Any more suggestions? THANKS!!!!

Angela April 20, 2012 at 8:50 pm

I’m sorry, it’s not working for you! Freezer paper or a transparency is the only other thing I can suggest. Here’s a link from someone who used a freezer paper method.

Let me know if you get it to work! :)

Sangria November 26, 2012 at 1:38 am

What IS freezer paper? Isn’t it just wax paper?

Angela November 27, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Sangria, it’s a little different. It’s white and heavier, but still has a shiny side.

Linda April 21, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Do you print your image on the waxy side or the paper side??

Angela April 22, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Linda, yes on the waxy side. It take a while to dry, so that is how you are able to transfer it. Hope it works for you!

Conny April 30, 2012 at 5:38 am

Hi – looks perfect, but where do you buy the wax paper ? Is it something special ?

Angela April 30, 2012 at 10:18 pm

I’m not sure where you live, but wax paper is sold in our grocery stores. It’s used when baking. You could also use freezer paper. The surface just need to be slippery, so the ink won’t dry too quickly.
Thanks for stopping by!
Angela

Karen May 2, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Wax paper continuously got jammed in my printer. Gave up on this because we just bought this printer and I wasn’t about to break it. :( Bummed.

Angela May 3, 2012 at 12:50 pm

That stinks!! Sorry it didn’t work, I guess it all depends on the printer. I have a really cheap one! ;)

Ann May 4, 2012 at 9:13 pm

You can inkjet print directly onto fabric. Just iron the fabric onto freezer paper…. this will give it the body it needs to go thru the printer. Print. Peel off the freezer paper and viola!!! I always press with high heat to make the image permanent. No need to reverse images!!!

Angela May 4, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Thanks, Ann!! I will try that!

Karen May 5, 2012 at 8:31 pm

I suppose you have to use a specific side of the paper for it to work properly?

Angela May 7, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Karen, you want it on the waxy side. Hope it works for you!!

Gena May 8, 2012 at 12:38 am

my sister and I tried for hours today to get a method to work using freezer paper, waxed paper, etc. My inkjet printer would just shoot out the transparency with nothing printed on it. Waxed paper had same results. freezer paper would not transfer.

what are we doing wrong?

Angela May 8, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Gena, I’m not sure? It’s pretty weird that nothing is on the printing on the wax paper or transparencies. The only thing I can think of is it might be a setting, but if it’s printing the same image on the freezer paper, I’m stumped.

Dana Holmes May 16, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Hello, first thank you for posting such a great tutorial. I have a question though. I did try this the other night and my image barley transferred to my cutting board. Does it matter which side you print the image onto the wax paper? I ask because mine didn’t turn out very well, wet or dry, (I did it twice) and wondered if I perhaps printed on the wrong side.
Thanks!

Angela May 16, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Dana,
I’m not sure why it’s so light? The wax paper should be waxy on both sides, but if for some reason yours has one side that is slicker, I would use that side. When I did mine, the ink stayed very wet for a long time. It might be the amount of ink your printer puts out, too? Sorry, I’m not much help!

gaye May 22, 2012 at 7:45 pm

I shall have to try this, it looks really nice. Thank you..

Lori June 1, 2012 at 1:54 am

This is a great idea!! Can you seal it and what with so is doesn’t wear off.

Angela June 1, 2012 at 2:00 am

Lori, you can seal but if you use a spray sealer it might run. I would use a butcher wax.
The first one I did I tried to sand it and it wasn’t coming off, so you might be OK?
Good luck!

Christa Boush June 3, 2012 at 3:36 am

I love this idea! Is there a way to do this using a laser printer, as I do not have an inkjet?

Angela June 5, 2012 at 1:15 am

Christa, I haven’t tried it on an inkjet but I’ve read some comments that say it doesn’t work. Sorry!

Robin June 7, 2012 at 12:47 am

You can actually print on fabric with an inkjet printer if it is cut to paper size and ironed onto freezer paper (waxy side). Both should be the size of a piece of paper. Once the fabric is printed, pull off the freezer paper and iron the back side of the fabric with a warm (not hot) iron. You will want something under the fabric when you iron it “in case” some ink comes off. I’ve not had that problem. My mother makes quilts using this technique. She gets some really unique fabric this way.

Angela June 7, 2012 at 1:30 am

Thanks, Robin! That’s a great to know!

leigh August 4, 2012 at 2:06 am

i tried ironing to set the ink and it washed out…someone told me to let the ink dry for 24 hours before washing….going to give it a go….for items that are transfered onto wood if you use a butcher block sealer it is food safe and washable….i use the brand Watco, its oil based so clean up is with mineral spirits, but that is what makes the item washable afterwards….love it……

Diana June 8, 2012 at 3:10 am

Is the ink permanent (won’t wash or rub off) or does it need to be “sealed” with something? Found your link on Pinterest!

Jenny June 9, 2012 at 4:10 am

how is this when something is washed? does the ink smear at all?

Dee Ann June 14, 2012 at 3:18 am

You might want to try this method. Use an Avery Label Sheet instead of wax paper. First you will want to remove all the labels and borders. Your graphic should transfer to the label sheet by feeding it through your inkjet printer like you would if it were regular printer paper. Once your graphic is printed on the sheet, lightly wet your subject with a sponge. You should be able to burnish your picture onto the surface with the back of a spoon or credit card. (I haven’t tried this yet) but if it works, it might be easier than using a sheet of wax paper that may get jammed in the printer. (*note – use that slightly damp sponge to remove any remaining ink that remains on the avery label sheet and reuse. Good luck! I hope this makes sense.

Kathie Moffett June 14, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I am excited to try this, I have a question about after you print on the wax paper how long do you have to transfer the image? Do you do it while it is still wet, or do you let the ink dry? Also I tried another method using freezer paper. I had a couple pieces of wood to play with. I found that the piece of wood that was smoother worked well. The other piece that was a LITTLE more rustic did not work at all.
I really love that you take the time to answere all the questions.
Found you on pinterest.

Angela June 25, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Kathie, I haven’t done this project in a while but from what I remember I transferred it right away. Hopefully it will work for you!

Lynnae June 16, 2012 at 2:24 am

Thanks for the tip. It is Fabulous!!!!

Angela June 25, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Lynnae, you are welcome! :)

Donna June 16, 2012 at 4:34 am

What a great idea! I have two projects that have been sitting in my head for a while now. I now know how I will do them. Thank you so much for sharing. I love what you have done with your kitchen. Looks great. I will be stopping by more often!

Kalie D. June 17, 2012 at 6:12 am

wanted to let you know you can also do a transfer with copy paper. You get your transfer picked out and under your print properties select the mirror image and print. then u wet the wood. Not too wet just little more than damp. lay your paper down image side down. wet the paper but just a little more than damp. take the nose of pen cap and trace the transfer. press hard but try not to tear the paper. Lift transfer off and there it is.

Angela June 25, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Kalie, thanks for the tip! :)

Neesa Wharton June 17, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Thanks so much for this tutorial. I was trying to do another method of wetting the paper, but wasn’t having any luck. It took a while to get it printed on the wax paper without it coming out of the printer smudged. At one point, I ran out of black ink. Even though it printed using other colors, the ink came out in little droplets instead of one smooth image. I read above that someone else had that problem. I would check on the ink settings. At first I tried wetting the wood, but it bled too much. Working with the painted and then sanded dry wood worked perfectly. Thank you!

Angela June 25, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Neesa, I’m so glad it worked for you! A lot of people have trouble. My printer is so cheap, but it works great! :)

JENNIE June 26, 2012 at 3:41 pm

OMG this actually worked! I put a vintage Costa Rican stamp on a cutting board from Costa Rica and it looks fantastic. Thanks so much for posting this!

Angela June 28, 2012 at 11:39 am

Jennie, I’m so glad it worked for you!!!!

Kasi July 5, 2012 at 5:27 pm

I saw in your instructions you have to work fast. Does this mean you cant make the transfer ahead of time and store them? I have a craft party coming up and have ideas for people to do small crafts at different stations and thought this might be kind of fun. But if i cant let the transfer sit it wouldnt work.

Angela July 6, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Kasi, I’m not sure how well they would “keep?” My best suggestion, would be to try a small image on a scrap piece of wood in advance. I would love to know if this works for you!
Thanks!
Angela

lori July 7, 2012 at 1:13 am

This is brilliant!!! I will be trying this very soon!!!!

Alex July 9, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Came across you via The Graphics Fairy. Absolutely amazing idea (and thrifty too). Thanks so much for the tutorial!

Angela July 17, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Alex, thanks for stopping by!!!

Danielle July 11, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Hi! Great idea. I was wondering which side of the wax paper should be facing up when running through the printer.

Angela July 17, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Danielle, whichever side is the shiniest/slickest. You just want the ink to not stick to it. Hope it works for you !

Jordan July 14, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Hi! this is a brilliant idea, but i was wondering what font you used for the word “cafe”

Angela July 17, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Jordan, I got the whole graphic from the Graphic Fairy’s website. You can always Google fonts to find free ones that might work, if you need something specific. Hopefully I helped! :)

Allison July 21, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Does anyone know if you can apply lacquer or polyurathane over the ink without it smearing?

Angela July 21, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Allison, I haven’t tried it but I think it might bleed. A paste might work?

Barbe@ Beez Rental Designs July 21, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Hello Angela,
Thanks so much for the great tutorial. I found you via The Graphics Fairy! I’m now a new follower and hope you’ll stop by for a visit and join my Frugal Treasures Tuesday party. Hope your weekend is going well.
Barbe

Jaye @ Just Trying to Make Cents of it All August 6, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Worked perfectly!!! Thanks for the awesome tutorial! So glad I ran across your site and I can’t wait to spend some time exploring all the cool things you do!!!

Brittany August 14, 2012 at 4:44 am

Tried it…. jammed my printer. Tried to tape it to paper… jammed my printer. Tried to iron it to paper like you mentioned… didn’t work. Any other suggestions?? I would love to try this. Most transfer methods I’ve seen require a laser printer, and I have an inket…. so I would love if this worked. My printer you have to feed from the bottom, so I cant hand feed it… suggestions??

carol tiflin August 17, 2012 at 11:51 am

going to try now . I have just found you on pininterest. Thankyou

Tawny August 19, 2012 at 9:07 am

OMG I haven’t seen this before! Very cool! It makes me want to run out and get wax paper right now! Do you think it would work on a cutting board? Would it get too cut up? What do you think? Have you tried it yet? Love your site! Here is mine!

Megan August 19, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Does this work with color ink as well? I want to put sepia toned pictures on wood and the only way I know to do this is use transfer tape or packaging tape and soaking the paper in water. To do this, I have to use toner ink. Has anyone tried this with color in using color ink from a regular home printer?

Maria August 22, 2012 at 1:06 am

The best transfer method I’ve used (and have tried them all). I’ve used this on plain wood, painted surfaces, clay pots…I love it!

I seal the transfers on wood with paste wax. You can also use a spray sealer such as clear Krylon spray paint. On fabrics, I use a hot iron to set it. Before you wash, you can mist/spray vinegar directly onto it to help keeping it from fading.

Thanks for the great tip!

Donna Million August 22, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Have you ever tried to use scrapbook velum? It is heavier and would go through printer easier but didn’t know if it would work or not. Thanks for posting such a cool idea.
Donna

Randi August 23, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Can I stain on top of this or will it run?

randi August 23, 2012 at 11:23 pm

I tried this and it worked GREAT. So super easy. Just hoping it will stay if I put a coat of stain over it?!?!

Angela August 24, 2012 at 1:32 am

Randi, I think the stain will make it run? I would use the stain first then do the transfer and if you need to seal it, use a wax or paste?

Michelle September 5, 2012 at 1:12 am

I tried this method to make a tray for a friend’s wedding…. But the concern I ran into was the ink would get smudged during printing and there weren’t clean prints to actually use. Any tips/ideas? I tried doing “best quality” “fast draft” etc and nothing helped.

Angela September 6, 2012 at 10:56 am

Michelle, I know some people have trouble with different printers. My only suggestion is to try to clean the rollers if you can. My guess is there is ink on them and it’s transferring to the wax paper? I’m not sure if that’s the case, but I can’t think of any other solutions? Good luck and I would love to know if you get it to work! :)

Beth September 5, 2012 at 3:31 am

Ok, this inspires me to ask a question ….

I’m doing my backsplash in beadboard wallpaper. If you’ve not used it or are familiar with it, it’s thick and has a sort of foamy texture. I plan to paint it with a high quality enamel to seal it well. I would love to stencil something on it, as if it were old wood that had been stenciled years ago. A transfer would certainly be more affordable and a much larger selection (graphics fairy has everything you could ever want. ever.) but I’m wondering how much pressure you used with the card? I’m afraid the wallpaper would “dent”. Is there another transfer method I could use?

I thought about a projector and tracing it, but I want it weathered and somewhat faded, like the transfer would be.

Angela September 6, 2012 at 10:53 am

Beth, depending on how well your printer works with the wax paper you could probably make it work. The less pressure the more it will look “aged.” I would definitely try it out on a scrap before you do it on your new wall, but make sure when you test it you are using the same angle. My worry is it will be harder to do on a wall. Definitely do it with another person and painters tape might be good to keep it from slipping. I’d love to know if you try it!!

Anna September 6, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Hey i’ve been looking for a cheaper version on how to transfer stuff and i will definitily be trying this but just curious can you wash the item you transfered onto after and it won’t come off?

Angela September 7, 2012 at 12:40 am

Anna, it won’t come off on wood for sure. I’m not sure about fabric?

Deb M September 9, 2012 at 2:11 am

I just tried this and it worked great! I made a toy box from an old wine crate for my dog and matched the fonts in the original design. I love it, thanks!!

DeB M September 10, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Love this method but it kept jamming ing the printer so I tried parchment paper. Worked worlds better! You should try it!

Daph September 13, 2012 at 7:51 am

I’ve used a similar method to transfer news paper print to a nail ,, wonder soaking the wood (surface) would help to minimize the smearing

Daph September 13, 2012 at 7:53 am

** soaking the wood surface in alchohol

Tricia September 13, 2012 at 5:00 pm

How do you seal it? Thanks!

Patricia September 14, 2012 at 2:26 am

I’m so excited about using this method. I wonder if it would help to leave the wax paper on the transfer object for a few hours to let the image dry.

Stefanie Ham September 17, 2012 at 4:29 pm

YOU are Awesome!! I too have been looking for something like this. I wanted to make my own Marine shirts cause our oldest in right now and we have 7 kids and wanted to make t-shirts. Also I love vintage looking signs. Any advice about the transfers for t-shirts PLEASE let me know. Thank you Stef

Ally September 20, 2012 at 2:39 pm

LOVED this idea, I was so happy to find it since I had been working on some signs that I found at our thrift store, and I could never find the perfect method to have the decorative type on my signs… I also wanted to say that my transferring worked on a painted surface just fine. I tested it first on the back, but the text came out nice and dark, even over the paint. :) Thanks again!!!

James September 23, 2012 at 5:18 am

Everyone that is having trouble with the wax paper…do this instead: Take any of your Avery or other brand label sheets and peel off all the labels/borders. You are left with a wax paper with paper backing that fits and goes perfectly through the printer. Still just for inkjets, no laser.

Sangria November 26, 2012 at 2:09 am

I have tried it with avery clear transfer paper, with the clear sheet still on it and my printer just spit it out…….I will try by peeling it first……pray it works

Angela November 27, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Sangria, sorry it’s not working! It sounds like your printer is refusing to cooperate! ;) Hope it works for you soon!

Lisa October 13, 2012 at 2:16 pm

This is a great idea! I am going to try it on a t-shirt. Do I need to wet my shirt first, as you did the wood as well? (:

Angela October 15, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Lisa, when I tried it on fabric I just got a damp cloth and patted the surface I wanted to transfer it to. It was barely damp. It worked well for me, but I haven’t tried t-shirt material. I would try it on a scrap first just to be safe.

Jennifer October 19, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Is this waterproof??

Angela October 22, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Jennifer, on wood it will not was off with water. On fabric it fads. Hope that helped! :)

emma October 24, 2012 at 6:35 pm

I’m wanting to do this on a guitar pick but would I need to seal the print with anything so it doesn’t rub off onto my fingers?:Px And if so what should I use?

Angela October 25, 2012 at 11:20 am

Emma,
If the pick is made of wood, once it dries it shouldn’t come off. If the wood you are using has a finish on it, you will need to sand it pretty good before you use the transfer. If the pick is plastic, I’m not sure if this will stay permanently. Hope this works for you!

Pendra November 2, 2012 at 4:04 am

I found your site through The Graphic Fairy DIY site. I have an old antique wood chair that had the seat caned (ripped out years ago) so I cut plywood and covered it with foam, batting and a cream and black checkered fabric, now I want to use some of Karen’s great graphics and some old black and white photos transferred onto flour sack pillows to sit on my cute new chair! Not to worried about washing them, because the older they get the better they will look! Thanks for sharing this great tutorial!
Crafty Hugs,
Pendra
pendrasplace.blogspot.com

Mari November 2, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Do you have any ideas on how to use an iPad to get an image and reverse it? Thanks, great idea.

Angela November 5, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Mari, I’m not sure about images in general on the Ipad. I only use mine for internet and generally stay away from even typing on it! ;) Sorry, I’m not much help!

Laura November 5, 2012 at 6:19 pm

This didn’t work. I tried it over and over and over last night, and the results were consistently horrid. I have an inkjet printer, the images print okay on wax paper, then they are either way too light on the wood, or they blur, or they smear, or only parts of the image transfer, or a combination of the above. I tried wetting the wood different amounts, not wetting it, printing with different amounts of ink (draft, regular, high quality, everything), trying color ink, using black ink only, printing on both sides of the wax paper to see if that made a difference, transferring the images right away, waiting a while to transfer the images, everything I could think of. I wasted $20 worth of little wood pieces from the craft store trying to get even just one halfway decent image. Just awful.

Angela November 5, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Laura, I’m sorry it didn’t work. :(

A Different Laura December 21, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Laura – That sucks for you. I tried, followed the directions exactly and it turned out simply perfectly! I am actually doing a series of these for little Christmas gifts with amazing vintage graphics from the graphics fairy. I even did multiple images on uneven, rustic reclaimed wood planks that are stained a dark color and it still turned out amazing every time. I just followed the directions exactly. You’re clearly doing something very wrong!!! It’s super easy! Are your hands really shaky or something? Do you move the image around after you lay it down? It’s truly quite hard to mess this up. Your failure at this project is obviously not a reflection on the writer’s tutorial… which is wonderful, clear, concise and simple to follow. Thanks for the great instructions!!!!
- a different Laura

Lauren November 6, 2012 at 10:40 am

hi, i was thinking about doing this on some big letters for my sister for christmas, but the letters are painted..

i was wondering if this idea would work on painted wood, or does it work just on plain wood?

thanks

Angela November 6, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Lauren, it should work on painted wood. Some people have had trouble with how dark it comes out. I would just test it first on a piece of scrap or an area that won’t matter if it gets messed up. All printers are different! ;) Good luck!

Heidi November 12, 2012 at 6:51 pm

This is a cool idea – I didn’t read all the comments, just enough to see that people were having trouble with the waxed paper jamming in their printers. You could try taping the leading edge of the waxed paper to a normal sheet of paper and then feed that through the printer.
I enjoy your blog!

Stephanie November 16, 2012 at 3:19 am

I was just wondering how the transfer held up after it was dry? If it gets wet does it come off? Can you use the cutting board? Love the Idea and am going to try it. I just wanted to know

Angela November 16, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Stephanie, on the pizza peel it never came off or faded. The wood didn’t have any finish on it, so I’m not sure if it has a finish how it will hold up. I just used mine for decorative purposes, so I’m not sure how food safe it would be. Hope some of that helped! :)

Carol Bolick November 24, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Hi, I am trying this on a project and wanted to see if once I print it on the wax do I have to transfer immediately or can that part wait a day before transferring. I want to print it at home but then would go to another location to transfer. Sounds strange, I know but it is a Christmas project for a family member! Thanks

Angela November 27, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Carol, I haven’t tried it this way. My only suggestion would be to do a test run. Use a smaller version on a piece of scrap material. Sorry, I’m not more help!

Sangria November 25, 2012 at 5:39 am

Wahhhhhhh….it didn’t work!!!! I got all the way up to loading my wax paper in my printer then i hit print…….and it jammed over and over again!! I even taped it to a blank sheet of paper and wahhhhhhhhh it didn’t work! I even bought those clear transfer papers at staples and it too just got swept up by the rollers of the printer and got spitted out without printing anything on it!!!! The print that I have is quite detailed and so this is the best method I think to get all them pretty details on my cabinet door cuz there’s no way imma trace it all with a sharpie no thanx! Is my project doomed!!???

Signed,
Desparately seeking transfer method

Sangria November 28, 2012 at 3:30 am

OK…..OH….MY….GOD!!!!! There was a person that commented on here to spray adhesive on a regular blank sheet of paper and paste the wax paper onto it…then cut the edges to make it even with the paper width. CAN I JUST SAY “THANK THE GOD LORD THAT IT WORKED!!!!!!!!” All my frustration of spending 4 hrs the other day is gone and now this is easier than ever! And on top of it all….it transferred so dark enough onto my chalk paint painted cabinet doors that I won’t even need to go over it with a sharpie or black paint! I’m freaking out is so good!!! Seeing that I have an addictive personality….I’m gonna do this to EVERYTHING in the house!! ANGEL-A u awsome lady u!!!! Thanx so much for making the effort to post this and show us ur wicked pizza board!

Kimberly December 18, 2012 at 4:58 am

Dang. Wish this worked for transfering to glass. I mean it transfers, but it always wipes right off the glass. LOL

alyssa December 19, 2012 at 11:12 pm

found you on pinterest! i wonder if this would work on wood letters (without finish or laquer) and transfer black and white photos… i know color wasnt working too well for ppl up above but did anyone try actual images instead of just letter? i know images work well with the nail polish transfer method.. i wonder if this method will do the same? anyone try it? let me know :)

Angela December 20, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I haven’t tried images. My suggestion, would be to do a small version on a scrap of wood. Hope it works for you!

Lexy December 23, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Hi! I am wanting to transfer onto a cheap folable white box (you know the kind you rush to get at the dollar store at Christmas time to get the job done) I am a college student and can’t afford to get canvas for the transfer I would like to do and thought using half of a gift box would be a cheap alternate……will this method work on things other than wood?

Angela December 23, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Lexy, I think it would work. It will all depend on how slick the box is. Hope it works for you!

Randi January 5, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Will it work on fabric if you use a color image? Like maybe a US flag or something in color.

Angela January 7, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Randi, the colored ink does not wash very well. If you are doing a project that doesn’t need to be washed, it will probably work.

amber Williams January 15, 2013 at 4:30 am

would it work the same if you used a shirt? please blog on that! thanks!

Angela January 16, 2013 at 11:59 am

Amber, it works on some fabrics. It will need to be a very tight weave. I had actually started working on a post a few months ago about using this technique on fabric. I guess I need to finish it! :)

cam January 16, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Hi Angela,
I just discovered you and am excited to play around with transfers. Have you done anything on tin or tin cans?? Applying heat would be tricky. Would you paint the surface first? Acrylic paint?
Thanks!!

Stephanie H. January 28, 2013 at 2:12 am

Just a FYI…my daughter and I could not get this to work – the wax paper would not go through the printer at all until we attached it to piece of printer paper…then WAAAA-LAA!!!! Went through first time! Now, here’s to hoping we figured out which side of the wax paper was the right one :)

Ash January 28, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Thanks Angela for the great tutorial! I referenced you in my blog if you want to check it out!

THANKS!

MB February 10, 2013 at 12:15 am

FYI …. I do not recommend anyone with a Kodak All in one print try this. I did it and it ruined my printer. I had to go buy a new one. The wax from the wax paper sicks to or clogs the printer head. My printer was working fine before I feed the wax paper through it and then it wouldnt print anything after I did it. Just a blank page. I replaced all the ink cartridges twice with new ones even took out and cleaned the printer head. Nothing worked, so Im just giving a warning!

dorcas pennyfather February 18, 2013 at 11:05 am

Thanks for sharing – great technique!

megan February 26, 2013 at 6:20 am

Hello Angela, it’s really nice to see this thread is still so alive!

I have been loving image transfer forever and since Polaroid no longer makes my beloved 669 (and there are just NO substitutes ), i’ve been playing with different transfer techniques. This one is full of potential for my work and I’m so excited. Your tutorial is succinct, beautifully shot and very well written. I have tried this method with two of my printers, with no success (yet!). I’m not sure if I missed it somewhere but may I ask which printer and inks you find works best for this technique? Thanks Angela, and when i do get some interesting results I’ll be sure to let you know.

Angela February 26, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Megan, I have a very cheap printer. It’s an HP Deskjet 1000. (I think it was under $30.) The only other advice I have is to try using the Avery label pages. After you have used all the labels, save the backer. It has a wax finish on it and is sturdier than the wax paper. You can reuse it a few times, too. Just wipe it with a damp paper towel.
Good luck!
Angela

carrie March 10, 2013 at 5:14 pm

what side of the wax paper do you print the image on?

Angela March 11, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Carrie, you want to print on the “waxy” side. The kind I used, it seemed to work on both sides.

connie March 12, 2013 at 11:48 pm

Can you do this on painted wood?

Angela March 14, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Connie, it does work on painted surfaces!

Melanie March 17, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Hi Angela! What a great project, I can’t wait to try it! Do you think that if I use a double sided tape it might keep the transfer from moving and smudging? I’ll give it a go and see how it turns out :)

Angela March 17, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Melanie, I think that might work. The whole trick is not getting it move, so laying it down carefully is the most important part. Let me know how it works!
Angela

Tammy March 27, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Loved this idea! The wax paper did not work for me unfortunately. But came up with an idea that worked beautifully! I used a ‘sheet protector’ left over from my childrens school projects. I placed a piece of typing paper in the sheet protector and had to trim the the one edge that had the holes in it (exactly to the size of the paper). I then taped this side – top, bottom and middle. Ran it through my printer and it worked brilliantly! I ran the credit card over it and wha la! Took a paper towel and was able to wipe off it off and now can re-use it!

Angela March 28, 2013 at 12:50 am

Tammy, that’s awesome! Glad it worked!

Carrie April 4, 2013 at 2:17 am

Tried this tonight and putting the wax paper by itself was a bust. Then I used spry adhesive to glue the wax paper to printer paper and had no problem! I used some French typography on some old chippy boxes I had painted, sanded, painted, sanded, added crackle, painted and sanded one more time and they look fantastic. I dampened the surface slightly first so the ink would be darker and it was just right. Thank you so much for the tutorial!

Kristi April 5, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Just wondering if any of the wax rubs off… I’m wanting to stain the wood after the transfer, and I’m afraid if the wax rubs onto the wood it will not accept the stain. Has anyone tried this?

Angela April 7, 2013 at 2:55 am

I know other people have stained over the transfer and it worked fine. I don’t think you would have any trouble, but you might want to test it first.

Lora April 20, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Hey there. You are probably getting tired of answering questions on this topic..BUT:
I am wondering if it makes a difference on how the paper is fed through the printer? Some home printers have the drawer underneath, and others you stack the paper horizontally in a tray. That is probably one of the reasons why this works for some but not others.
My printer has the drawer, what type do you have?

Angela April 21, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Lora, I have a printer that feeds from the top. It probably will make a huge difference! Mine, I can make sure it feeds into the printer, and you probably won’t be able to do that with a drawer.

April April 30, 2013 at 3:42 pm

I found you on pinterest and knew I would use this idea for a classroom auction project. I had all the kids draw pictures of them selves and then scanned them in, printed them on was paper (just taped the top edge to (cardstock) and rubbed them on a small toy chest. It was so easy! Thank you for sharing your brilliance!

Angela April 30, 2013 at 5:56 pm

April, I’m so glad it worked for you!!!

Adrianna Lucero May 7, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Can you do this on fabric as well, and then trace it over with fabric paint/marker to make sure it stays permanently??

Angela May 7, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Adrianna, I have had it work on fabric. It works better with a tighter weave.

Sally May 15, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Has anyone tried this on a tile? I have a smooth, porous tile (like sandstone) that I would like to transfer to. It is about 4″ round. Would it be hard to line up the print with the tile?

Angela May 16, 2013 at 12:05 am

I haven’t heard of anyone trying tile? If it’s porous enough it would probably work. Let me know if you try it! :)

Jean May 30, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Saw on one website where they were using parchment paper rather than wax paper and having good results. I have printed images directly onto small pieces of fabric using my Epson printer by taping the fabric to freezer paper and running it through.

Amirah May 31, 2013 at 7:29 pm

This was amazing! Who knew that instead of going out to buy 5 sheets of transfer paper at an expensive price, that I could use wax paper (which actually looks so much better than store bought transfer paper!). In my case, I used it for a t-shirt transfers (for templates to paint) and I used a glue stick to attach wax paper to a sheet of 81/2 by 11 printer paper. I then put it in my inkjet printer and let it do the rest. You were certainly right, I dampened my t-shirt with the water from the iron before putting the picture on and it came out very clear and very detailed!!! Thank you so much! I can enjoy transferring design templates now without having to worry about running out of paper. :-)

Toni June 9, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Hi, Has anyone tried this on furniture like the top of a coffee table? I am trying to figure out how to seal it so that the ink is not smudged. I have tried brushing lightly with Polycrylic over the top and that smeared my ink :( and I have wax, but I know rubbing wax over the top will for sure smear the ink. Any ideas? :) P.S. I put the French typography over Annie Sloan Chalk Paint on a coffee table and it looks AMAZING–now to seal it :/

Angela June 10, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Tony, I haven’t ever used a sealer but I’m pretty sure others have. My suggestion would be to try a spray sealer and just do really light coats? Hope you find a solution and I would love to see the final result! :)

Ally June 13, 2013 at 1:59 am

Will this work on plastic by any chance?

Kija June 18, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Does this work on shirts?

Angela June 19, 2013 at 1:02 am

Kija, I have tried it on drop cloth and it worked, but it doesn’t wash well.

Michelle June 19, 2013 at 8:07 pm

I am printing to this wax paper and transferring it to a Longaberger basket lid – it has a sheen to it and I’m wondering if it will stick – should I sand it down a bit before hand?

Angela June 21, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Michelle, I don’t know how well it work on a shiny surface? You might want to lightly sand it first.

Fran B. June 22, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Great technique and very easy. Also, I love the backsplash in your kitchen. Everything ties together perfectly.

Stacy June 29, 2013 at 2:42 am

Just wondering, not going to read through 300 comments (lucky you)…and it’s super, since I live in Canada, and can’t get freezer paper here anywhere…but, can you use this on fabric? And, will it be washable? Thanks!

Angela July 3, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Stacy, it all depends on the fabric. The tighter the weave, the better. It doesn’t wash the best, but if you use a hot iron before washing it helps a little.

Shelley July 9, 2013 at 4:20 am

I just did this on my chalk painted coffee table. Just taped the wax paper to a piece of card stock and worked great. Now my only question…how do I seal it? Chalk paint needs to be waxed, but I’m afraid waxing it will smear it. Any suggestions? I may use a spray shellac, only thing I can think of.

Angela July 9, 2013 at 1:24 pm

My suggestion would be to try it on a scrap piece of wood, but I think a spray shellac would work best. I would just do very light coats. Hope it works for you!!

Tanya July 18, 2013 at 6:02 pm

thank you so much for this. i was prepared to try the wax paper method but chickened out after seeing so many failed attempts and so i tried the iron on tip someone else suggest. it totally worked. i printed my graphic (from graphic fairy) taped it into place on the table i wanted to do and then i dampened a dish towel and layed it over the transfer and ironed it till the towel was dry. i had my iron on the linen setting (hottest) no steam and applied a lot of pressure, trying not to move my graphic. i like it, thank you!

Chantel Phelps July 22, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Going to try this tonight. I’ve been adding artwork to tee shirts for a while now, via tracing the image onto the shirt and then painting, but I think this would work perfect, being that I don’t need the original tracing to last, because I paint over it. Thank you! Fingers crossed! :)

Dusanka July 23, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Hello!
Thank you for share with us. I would like to know about wax paper. Is it a baking paper?
Thank you.

Angela July 28, 2013 at 11:45 pm

In America it is white and has a waxy surface on one side. Hope that helps! :)

manuela kuiper August 7, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Hello,
My name is Manuela and i from the Netherlands.
I dont know what wax paper is, can you tell me what it is?
So i can use it to. It is a great idea!!!

Greeting from Holland
Manuela

Angela August 9, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Manuela, it’s used in the kitchen and has a very slick surface. Normally it’s white. Hope that was somewhat of helpful!! ;)

Magi August 14, 2013 at 9:28 pm

I have tried several methods to try transfer on chalk painted surfaces & they didn’t work. I tried the wax paper but my printer ate it! So I tried again with freezer paper & printed on the waxy side. It worked great. Thanks for the idea! :)

Alan August 18, 2013 at 3:01 pm

If the wax paper won’t got through your printer make a “backing” out of a sheet of paper. Fold a lip over the leading edge and use a small piece of tape to hold it. Also as a guide you can use a piece with a test print of your design. This will help to keep the size accurate. Remember to make sure the wax paper is in loaded correctly. You don’t want to print on the paper side.
I figured this out after cutting out too many pieces of wax paper only to have them jam. I also tried parchment paper. Didn’t work.

Nicole August 19, 2013 at 7:02 am

I couldn’t wait to try it so I went out at 1:30am to get wax paper and tried it as soon as I got home. It worked great on my brother printer, I put it in the empty paper tray. You do not know how much time you have saved me! THANK YOU!!!

Angela August 20, 2013 at 12:39 am

LOL!! So glad it worked for you Nicole!!!

claire August 30, 2013 at 3:40 pm

would it work on a t-shirt?

Angela November 7, 2013 at 10:14 pm

I would probably work, but not sure how it would wash?

Patty September 2, 2013 at 6:03 pm

I used this method to add a letter, (monogram-type), to a glass bottle that I painted with chalk paint. Since I didn’t have your page open, and was going from memory, I just printed the letter on regular copy paper, lightly moistened the area where the letter was going, and rubbed with the edge of a paint stirrer. It worked beautifully! However, when I looked at your directions again, I saw that you had used waxed paper. So, I tested the regular copy paper on a piece of unfinished, scrap wood, moistening the wood lightly, and it worked just as well. This may be helpful for anyone who doesn’t have ready access to waxed paper.
Thanks so much!

Carrie September 22, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Wow! Thank you so much. From last minute moms every where you just saved the day. It took a little patience to get an even color ink layer (due to my printer) but it transferred to a damp white t shirt beautifully.

Angela September 23, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Carrie, I’m so glad it worked for you!! :)

Michelle September 28, 2013 at 4:37 am

I tried the wax paper method. I too have a Brothers printer -paid a arm and a leg for it. I read on here that some folks were having issues with this printer. This is what I did -

I took one of those full size White Shipping Labels sheets (Avery 5265) peeled the backing off of it. Placed the sticky side up on the counter, took a piece of wax paper a little longer than the label, placed the extra at the edge of the counter and leaned on it – to keep it taunt, placed it right on the sticky side of the label. Trimmed the extra wax paper off the edges to conform to the label. Then I put the label in the printer and it worked like magic. Printed on the wax paper – and then placed it face down on the piece I transferred to, taped the corners so it wouldn’t shift around, rubbed with a large spoon and then lifted it up to check – MAGIC..that was so much easier than any other transfer method by far!!

mckenna keller October 14, 2013 at 10:22 pm

will it work on black shirts?

Angela October 14, 2013 at 10:34 pm

I don’t think you would be able to see it?

Brenda October 29, 2013 at 1:10 am

Do you think you could transfer on a canvas with this method?

Angela October 29, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Brenda, I have used it on painted metal and even a drop cloth so I don’t see why it wouldn’t work on a canvas?!? Good luck!!

Chris Judas November 9, 2013 at 4:55 pm

I experimented with this and it DOES work!! I did find if you tape the wax paper to a sheet of printer paper it will feed thru the printer A LOT easier. Then just tear or cut the 2 sheets apart and follow the rest of the directions.

Camille November 20, 2013 at 7:53 pm

I LOVE this tutorial! I have not tried this method yet, but I found it on the Graphics Fairy. I need some clarification, Angela. I see you call it wax paper, but in a later comment, it is described as white one side and slick on one side. I thought wax paper was clear with both sides slick and freezer paper was white with one slick side. And to throw yet another kink in my question, could the wax paper you’re referring to also be known as parchment paper?

I think this an awesome idea, but I just wanted to double check before I got started. Thank you so much for your continued support of this post. I know it’s a couple of years old, but I know we all appreciate it so much!

I’m also a new follower! Thank you again, Angela!

Angela November 20, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Camille, yes in my original tutorial I used wax paper (slick on BOTH sides) so it doesn’t matter which side you use. :) I haven’t tried freezer paper, but it might work just as good or better since it’s thicker. For the freezer paper you would want to use the slick side. I haven’t used parchment paper, but I’m not sure how well that would work. Hope that helps and that the transfer works well for you!!
Thanks for following!!
Angela

Sherry December 14, 2013 at 5:36 am

I’m so excited to try this. Do you think it would work on paper bags? My printer won’t take them to print directly.

Angela December 16, 2013 at 3:44 am

Sherry, yes this should work great on paper bags!

Sue Toomer January 6, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Hi I have never seen wax paper in the UK, does anyone know where I can get it? I have seen on Amazon but not particularly cheap with postage. Really want to give it a try!

Angela January 8, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Sue, there are some other options you can use. If you have peel and stick labels, you can use the paper they come on. After you’ve used all the labels, use the slick side to print on. You can also use freezer paper. Again just use the slick side. Hope that helps!! :)

ozz January 17, 2014 at 8:20 am

Hello. thanks for very useful informations. I Just want to know is it durable? I ve noticed you did it first on natural wood at 2011 and is it still has lively color?
Regards.

Angela January 17, 2014 at 1:10 pm

The color hasn’t faded but I don’t wash it regularly. I have cleaned it and it’s been fine. Hope that helps! :)

Gaea January 18, 2014 at 7:35 am

What if you put athin towel or something over it and ironed it on? Would that work better for fabric? And maybe lightly misting the fabric first also.

Chelsea January 22, 2014 at 3:22 am

does this work on fabric?

Angela February 14, 2014 at 9:54 pm

It works on fabric but the print can’t be too small and the fabric has to be a tight weave.

Stephanie January 25, 2014 at 5:35 am

Hi, this is a great idea, I just have one question:
Will it work on clothing and if so, dark clothing??
Thanks

Angela January 28, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Stephanie, it probably won’t show up real well on darker surfaces?

Nicole Winter February 5, 2014 at 3:56 am

This is gorgeous! I am very excited to give it a try. Some friends just bought a new home and I want to give them a personalized cutting board for a house warming gift. I have a lovely bamboo board. I am just wondering how long the transfer last? If it lasts a really long time, through repeated washings I will just give my friends the cutting board. But if the transfer fades fairly quickly I want to let them know so they save it for special occasions, or just for bread. Thanks for sharing your lovely talent!

Angela February 5, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Nicole, it has lasted a long time on my board, but I don’t really use it. It’s more of a decorative piece. Also, my board didn’t have any oil or treatment, so the ink really soaked in. Hopefully that will help you!?
Thanks for stopping by!

Christine February 8, 2014 at 12:10 am

Cool…was thinking today….how can I transfer a picture or outline to a rock so I can paint it….will try this!

Cynthia February 22, 2014 at 6:27 am

I’ve seen where several people have been successful in placing the image on chalk paint. I’m nervous to try because when you wet the chalk paint won’t it come off?? Also, many have commented that they are looking for ways to seal it after so the ink won’t smear. I’ve seen some suggestions but I haven’t seen where anyone has been successful and then posted the solution. I would love to use this method but I need to know the area can be sealed. Thank you!

Angela February 22, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Cynthia, I still haven’t tried to seal it? I can’t be positive, but I think a spray on sealer (using very light coats) would work.

Jean Watkins Corley February 28, 2014 at 1:47 pm

I want to make sure— you print on the wax side of the paper. Have you tried printing on the wax side of Freezer paper?

Angela February 28, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Jean, yes it will work and freezer paper is a little sturdier.

Brooks March 11, 2014 at 3:55 am

I was reading through previous commentsa and saw that someone brought up the idea of canvas, which is what I wanted to try this on. Has anyone tried this on canvas yet? Can’t wait to try it out. Just wondering if anyone had any experience doing this on canvas and maybe had some tips! Thanks!

Angela March 12, 2014 at 1:38 pm

I haven’t used it on canvas but it works well on any tight weave, so I would think it would work.

Gillian March 13, 2014 at 11:11 pm

Hi I have just successfully tried this method and the results are amazing. I have used it on painted wood and I’m now wanting to seal it but nervous my ink will run. Have you any suggestions as what to use, wax , varnish etc x

Angela April 9, 2014 at 11:53 pm

Gillian, sorry I am just seeing your comment!! Yes you can seal it with a spray…that works best. I updated the post with a link to my trials for sealant. :)

wendy March 15, 2014 at 7:06 pm

I have tried this about 12 times and was only successful twice. My wax paper keeps causing paper jams. I don’t know what I did that made it successful twice. I have an HP inkjet printer. Looks great, but I need to repeat to finish my project.

Angela March 15, 2014 at 11:02 pm

Wendy, try using a label page. After you use all the labels it has a slick side that can be used just like wax paper. It will go through your printer a lot easier! Hopefully that will help! :)

Nat April 6, 2014 at 8:33 pm

I was wondering if this works on shirts??? I am going to a concert soon and I would like to have a shirt with the band’s logo on it and I have tried the modpodge method and it almost ruined my shirt, gladly I was able to wash it off. I don’t want to risk ruining my shirt again

Angela April 8, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Nat, it will work but it can be temperamental! You need the fabric to taunt but you don’t want it pulled when you are transferring it, if that makes sense? It will fade some when you wash it also. Hopefully that helped?!?! :)

María J. April 17, 2014 at 6:45 am

Good morning from Spain Angela!!
Many thanks for your creative ideas. I’ve been able to do everything you point out, but sadly when it comes to print on such thin paper my computer “thinks” there aren’t any paper… :(

Any suggestions please?

Angela April 17, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Maria, try taping it to a piece of paper? If that doesn’t work you can use an empty label page. The side that the labels are adhered to is slick, so it works the same as wax paper.
Hopefully that helps! :)

Angela October 13, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Pamela, it is the sheets that have sticky labels that you can print on from your computer. They are found with the office supplies. After you use the labels there is a slick backing that the labels were on. It’s very similar to wax paper, just sturdier. Hope that all made sense!! :)