Transfer Images Using Wax Paper: Tutorial

Wax Paper Image Transfer Tutorial from Unexpected Elegance

I have been playing around with a lot of mediums lately, one being iron on transfers.  I had bought some the other day, but they are pretty expensive if you only make one item per sheet.  So I thought I would try an alternative.  The only thing I had around was wax paper, so I gave it a try and it worked GREAT!  See how I transfer images using wax paper:

Transfer with Wax Paper

Here are a few things I took away from trial and error.

Supplies: Wax Paper (you can also use label paperor freezer paper), an ink jet printer ,a credit card, and object you want to transfer to.  I chose to use a wooden pizza peel.

I found that if you wet the wood a little, it would make the transfer darker.  Just make sure it’s not too wet, then the ink will run (a happy balance).

Cut the wax paper to the size of printer paper.

I used a graphic from The Graphics Fairy…she has the BEST blog!!  Check it out for some really great stuff!

You will need to reverse the image.   Most computers have the program Paint. If you aren’t sure just do a search for it in your start bar. Open the picture you want to flip, then go to Image in the top bar. There is a drop-down option for Flip/Rotate. That should reverse the image for you.

Put the wax paper in the printer and make sure it’s under the rollers, but not too far in.  If you put it on top of printer paper, you can use the paper as a guide on how far the wax paper needs to be in the printer.

Stand close to the printer and help guide the wax paper out.  OH, and make sure there are no wrinkles!!  It can cause the wax paper to get jammed.

You will have to work quickly, but once you set the wax paper down you CAN NOT move it.

Try to line up the paper then gently lay it on the surface you want to transfer it to.  Holding the wax paper firmly down, use a credit card to gently scrap the surface.

Wax paper Tutorial for How to Transfer ImagesThen carefully remove the paper.  It will still have ink, so be careful not to drag it.

Here are the two sides of the board, the first one is without getting the board wet and the second one is damp.  You can see that the second is much darker but the paper moves easily so it smeared a little.  It all depends on the look you want.

This project takes about 10 minutes and is super cheap.  I think I will be using this A LOT.  It works on fabric too, but the thread has to be really tight for the best results.

Hopefully, I have taught you something you didn’t know! ;)

~Angela

You can find out how to seal your transfer HERE!

How to Seal Ink from a Wax Paper Transfer

Comments

1. says

Well, you did teach me something I didn’t know. I’m alwasy looking for new transfer methods. I think both sides of your board look nice. Thanks for sharing. (Found you at At the Picket Fence).

• says

Glenda, the colored ink will work. The tricky part is keeping the transfer from shifting, because it will blur. I would suggest practicing on paper first

2. says

I saw you on “You’re Talking Too Much” linky party…wow, I have some wood cutting boards & wax paper already, WOO HOO, Thanks!

I need some more followers on my blog too, If you follow me, I’d be very grateful.

Thanks,
    Amy

• Angela says

Brittany, sorry I forgot to include that! It is an inkjet printer. I will add that to my directions…THANKS!

• Lorie says

Ours is a Brother inkjet printer and it did not work…all it managed to do was make it where we needed to clean the printer about 5 times before we could manage to get even halfway decent copies out again. Thanks for the directions though. Enjoyed trying it!

• says

Pamela, it is the sheets that have sticky labels that you can print on from your computer. They are found with the office supplies. After you use the labels there is a slick backing that the labels were on. It’s very similar to wax paper, just sturdier. Hope that all made sense!! :)

• Linda says

label paper is the wax paper left over once all the labels are removed AND it’s already the correct size for the printer. Great way to use and reuse :) I’ll have to try this.

• Angela says

Karen, yes you would have to reverse the letters. If you are using The Graphics Fairy, most of the time she has a transfer image attached.

Coriann,
          That’s actually a common question!! I need to update my post. Most computers have the program “Paint.” If you aren’t sure just do a search for it in your start bar. Open the picture you want to flip, then go to “Image” in the top bar. There is a drop-down option for “Flip/Rotate.” That should reverse the image for you. Hopefully that will help!

• Coriann says

Thank you…. Once you said something I was able to figure it out right away! and the sad part is that it was so simple i dont know why i didnt figure it out on my own

• Amanda says

Most printers have, once you hit file print, preferences they have an option to print as mirror. this is an easier option. Check your printer settings first.

• Kathy says

You should add this tidbit to the directions. “Reversing the image” was my first question, and having never worked with transfers before, had no idea that there might be an option to download a “transfer image”, or even that you could reverse an image using “Paint”. Thanks for sharing, though…we’re moving to a new house that we have to renovate, soon, and I imagine I will be using lots of these kind of tips.

3. says

Sounds like an easy peasy project, Angela, and it has such a great result! Your peel looks wonderful. I had misplaced the tutorial I previously had for a transfer- this is easier. I’ll be sure to look for you at CL in a few weeks.
    :-) Sue

4. says

Great idea! You are a clever lady, Angela. I popped over from BJ’s blog. Glad to find you. I’m now following.
    I’m interested in one of the cheese dome/plates like BJ bought. Do you still sell these?
    ~ Sarah

5. says

Hi, just found your blog. Loved your instructions! I have been wanting to try this. I actually liked both looks, the paler one looks very vintage. I am now a new follower.

6. says

That is a cool transfer method. I really want to try that on some things. Is it washable? I was thinking of using it on a rolling butcher block cart, but it would obviously need to be wiped off frequently.

• Angela says

Deborah, I tried it with water and it didn’t fade, but I didn’t use soap. I don’t know how well it would work on a surface that you use. If it is just on a part that you wipe periodically, it might work. You’ll have to let me know what you decide! :)

• Angela says

Christian, I haven’t tried it on t-shirts, but it worked on a tea towel. I havent’ washed it yet, though. Let me know if you try it!

• Dorothy Miller says

I tried it on a dish towel, works wonderfully, Bad news is it washes out. I wonder how you could set the ink, tried iron but that didnt work. Any ideas?

• says

Dorothy, I’m really not sure? I wonder if soaking it in vinegar might help. (Not sure if it would bleed?) Sorry, I’m not much help!

• Jennifer says

I did this on my kitchen towels. I scanned some of my kids old artwork, transferred the image as she instructed, then traced with a marker to “set”. It was easy to transfer, washes perfectly and I have their artwork to keep forever. Hope this helps.

7. says

Hi found you through Kathysue and you are brilliant! I love love love this idea and am going to give it a try. You make it look so easy, I just love the finished product, it looks like an old cutting board from a chateau in France!! Fabulous and so happy to discover your blog.
    Stop by doing an amazing giveawawy for the most beautiful French telephone table!!

8. says

Hi I found you on Pinterest. What a great easy way to transfer. I had thought of wax paper before but never tried it now I will. Did you try it on painted furniture? Thanks for great tutorial I’m a new follower.

9. Kim says

omgosh..i am so super excited to try this…I have some wooden signs i want to make for my home. have you tried with different colors?or onto painted surfaces?

10. Ashley Marie says

Would you have to reverse the image before printing it out so that the ink is on the side of the wood?? I’m confused by how it works but i love the idea! Thanks!! :)

• Angela says

Ashely, yes you have to reverse the image. Most programs have the option, but if you get the image from Graphics Fairy she normally has a transfer option.

11. says

Well, who said you couldn’t teach an old dog new tricks!? I found you through Kristen and I am your newest follower. I have a new grandbaby contest going on today (yesterday’s post) Pop by and take a guess if you have the chance. Hugs- Diana

12. says

What a great idea, I am going to have to give this a go. I was also wondering that you may be able to make the board more washable by using a heat gun and then the wax would melt into the board, not sure if this would work or not, just an idea!!

13. says

i’m in love with this idea…..thank you for sharing the tutorial as well….humm, something i’m going to consider trying. i love the way yours looks all gathered behind your stove & how convieniently accesible. oxox, tracie

14. Kim H says

Found you through Pinterest and I love it. I was wondering if it would work on wood that has been sealed or if maybe you could seal the wood over it?

15. Beth says

To get the wax paper easily through the printer, adhere the wax paper to a piece of printer paper with repositional adhesive spray.

• Angela says

Thanks, Beth! I had thought about trying that, but didn’t have any at the time. I am assuming it will work with printing directly onto fabric, too? Have you tried using it on fabric?

16. Gail says

How do you reverse the print? I’ve asked several people and none have been able to help me. I love this idea and cant wait to try it!

• Angela says

Gail, I had some trouble figuring that out too! Most computers have the program “Paint.” If you aren’t sure just do a search for it in your start bar. Open the picture you want to flip, then go to “Image” in the top bar. There is a drop-down option for “Flip/Rotate.” That should reverse the image for you. Hopefully that will help!

17. Laura Bonucchi says

Hi Angela,
    Is this Pizza tray still usable? Or is it intended to be just for decoration now? How permanent is the transfer?

I was wondering if you sprayed it with Crystal Clear if it could be usable after wards.
    Great idea, it is very cute. I was thinking this would be a good gift idea for my mom.
    Thanks,
    Laura

• Angela says

Laura, I had orginally made it just for decorative purposes. I tried sanding off the first one I did, and had some issue. I would say it’s pretty permanent. :) I am not familiar with Crystal Clear, is it food safe? Good luck with your gift, I hope it turns out great!

• says

im giving up trying everything to put words on my plaques , ive got a plaque to make an nothing else works at all I don’t wana keep spending out now im gutted..i need to put treatment room on a white spray painted (matt)..would this work?? would the words be clear enough??…I have an Epsom inkjet would that be ok??..where do I get wax paper in the uk?

• says

Sarah, I’m so sorry it’s taken so long to reply!! I’ve been on vacation. It should work fine, but I would practice on a scrap piece first. If you have freezer paper it will work with that too…just make sure you use the shiny side.

18. Amber D. says

I tried this. The printer kept eating my wax paper. I even tried taping it to a piece of computer paper. Giving up. lol

• Morgan says

Amber –

Try ironing the wax paper to a regular sheet. Just do the corners where you are not printing and put a towel between the iron and the wax paper. This will give the wax paper the heft of the printer paper.

Another idea – if you look into the printer from the output slot – can you see rollers? Is there a way to prop the rollers up with cut up zip ties? I have an Epson and to print on non-Epson paper (like transparancies) I had to use cut up zip ties to lift the rollers out of the way so they would not touch the paper.

In the case of the Epson there is a bar to wedge my tie on to lift the roller.

Anyway – I hope that makes sense and works for you!

19. says

First off, great tutorial! Thanks so much for sharing! Second I was reading a few of the comments and wanted to mention that I have printed directly onto fabric before using an inkjet printer (same idea cut freezer paper to the size of printer paper and iron the wax side to the the fabric then run it through) anyhow, it you soak it in vinegar, it sets the ink, but for some strange reason it only works on the black ink…the color inks dissolved off. about sealing the wood after doing this, lowe’s carries sealers in a spray paint and you can’t get either gloss or matte…I would imagine that those would be your best bet to keep the ink from running when you seal it…I don’t know how well they work because I haven’t used them yet, but just wanted to mention that they may be a better option that using a brush…anywho, sorry if those ??? were already answered by other readers…I didn’t read all the comments, but just wanted to throw in my two cents! Thanks again for the great tute!

20. says

Brilliant, Angela! Great tutorial – you make it look so easy. The pizza peel turned out beautifully, too. I found you on Pinterest and have repinned this to my Crafts and DIY board. Thanks so much, Lady!
    xoxo
    Joy

21. says

For those of you who still aren’t sure about how to print lettering in reverse – Most printers will have an option in the print dialogue box. For my HP printer, you click on Preferences (on the main dialogue box); Click on the “Finishing” tab, and then select the “Mirror Image” check box.

In Photoshop, you just transfer your image horizontally (or just the layer that your text is on if you don’t want any images reversed as well).

Hope this helps!

22. says

Hi there! Just found your page through the graphics fairy =) I was wondering if this same technique would work with a laser printer? I don’t have an inkjet =(

• stacey says

I imagine that the wax paper wouldn’t even go through the machine. It would probably jam. Laser printers are pretty persnickety.

23. says

Thanks for this. I too have discovered the Graphics Fairy and really love her artwork. This week I used it for the first time on a miniature stool I found that already had old paint on it. I sanded it back to a shabby look and used the Mod Podge method to transfer the French letter design. I’ll try your method next time. To see the stool I made over, go to http://irestorestuff.blogspot.com/. Thanks.

• says

Jen, I havent’ tried it? My thought is it would wipe off. If you weren’t going to use water on it, it might work? Let me know if you try it!!

24. Dominique McArthur says

I love this idea and can’t wait to try it. Does it matter which side of the waxed paper you use? Thanks for the idea and the great Graphics Fairy tip, she is wonderful!

25. angela says

help me!!! I love this transfer via wax paper, and I finally learned today how to open it in ‘Paint’ to flip it…but now it prints so small, I’ve made several attempts to try and enlarge it via ‘Paint’ but it still comes out too small. but I can clearly see this is gonna work out, once I get the drift of it. thanks………..

• says

Angela, I’m not sure what version of Paint you have but under “Image” there should be a “Resize” option. You should be able to increase the size with this option. If you can’t get it to work, let me know and I can do it for you! :)
      Just shoot me an e-mail: unexpectedelegance@gmail.com

26. Kelly says

I did this! And I recomend NOT doing this in a laser jet! I absolutly ruined mine. My husband explained that laser jets heat up SO much that the wax melts and then hardens in the rollers. We have now bought a ink jet so we will see. I am a little hesitant though!

27. Jaime says

Just tried this on an old wood cutting board and it came out awesome! Thanks for the great idea! It was super easy to do!

28. leigh says

had a question…love this idea and have tried it several times….the ink always bubbles on the wax paper and no matter how careful i am it smears badly on dry or damp wood….so much that it doesnt look good at all….am i doing something wrong? anyone have any ideas??

• says

Leigh, I’m not sure about the bubbling. Are you using an ink jet or laser printer? I have heard that laser printers get too hot (might be the problem?). The smearing is something that is pretty tricky. I normally hold the paper at top and bottom and slowly lay it down, top to bottom. If you have someone to help, hold it securely as you lay it down and have the other person scrap it with the card. Hopefully, that will help!

• leigh says

Thanks for responding!!

we have an inkjet printer, its a few months old if that has any bearing on the way it works….i get alot of bubbles on the surface of the paper, maybe if i am just extra careful i can transfere the image without smearing! I really love this idea!!

29. says

Awesome idea! I can’t wait to give this a try. I have been very disappointed with the Citri-Solv method. I hope it will feed through my printer. . . I have one of the newer one that does not allow hand feeds. :(

30. mommylovesix says

I am guessing that you will need to print your graphic in mirror reverse if it word at least right? Love this btw!! I will be trying it out soon!!

31. says

Wow, the print looks amazing! I’ve never seen this before and am pretty excited now to try it out! Thanks so much for sharing the tutorial. :)

• says

Doris, I haven’t tried it on glass. My thought is that it won’t stick because the surface needs to be porous…but it’s worth a shot! Let me know if you decide to try it!

32. Deborah Rowden says

I loved this idea, but I was having a lot of trouble with the waxed paper not feeding through the printer. After several tries (some of which worked fine but others which jammed up the printer), I found a solution which is easier to work with AND foolproof. I took a sheet of clear “overhead” printer sheets (teachers use them to print something for students to see on an overhead projector). It is rough on one side and smooth on the other. I printed on the smooth side. Perfect! And the ink washes off so it can be re-used!

• says

Thanks for trying it out! I have used transparencies too, but this is just for someone who only has household things and no budget!;) Sorry, it didn’t work out for you!!

33. says

I love this and must try it! I’ve printed on fabric before and I taped the fabric to a piece card stock to stabilize it. Worked perfectly.

P.S. I hope you don’t mind if I add it to my Pinterest board. If you do, let me know and I will take it down.

34. melissa says

Theres a better way…use regular printer paper…reverse the image before you print (print options) Place paper on wood or what ever you want image on. Tape in place. Brush paper with wet paintbrush… enough to wet but not to tear paper. Then take sharpie pen CAP and rub transfer – gently not to tear paper. Go in both directions with cap. I can email u a pic of the wooden plaques I did. Not to dark, not to light. No smearing. Perfect !

• Sarah says

This method did not work for me. I tried 2 different printers and the ink isn’t coming out dark enough on my wood. I can’t wait to try the wax paper method

35. Jeanne says

Have you tried this on painted furniture (or any painted surface)? I would like to transfer an image to a painted table top

• says

Jeanne, I haven’t tried it but I know it’s possible because others have commented about doing it. good luck with your project!

36. Lorane says

Hi! This is great – remember doing something similar as a child. That was many many years ago. Anyway, you are so artistic, wondering if you know a technique such as this that would transfer onto glass? I am working on a project and need something really vintage looking on a picture frame glass. Well, best to you and your artistic endeavors! Lorane, txwoodcarver.

• says

Lorane, I don’t have any suggestions for glass. I know you can buy glass paint. If it’s an image you could paint, you could just put the image behind the glass and trace it in paint. Good luck! Let me know how it turns out.

37. Lissa says

ok i know i am a bit late to the party but i have been decorating my sons room and wanted to see if it would work on a wall over paint (just for the ‘stencil’) and then paint over the top of it just so that its right…before i try it do you think it may work??

38. Sabrina says

I tried this and gave up on trying to get the wax paper to go through my inkjet printer. Instead I printed it on my regular computer paper (reversed) and put it on my wood cutting board. I took a wet washrag and put it on top of paper like you would a temporary tattoo. Then I took my iron on the highest setting and went over the rag until was almost dry. The results were about like your paddle without water. Even though the methods weren’t exactly the same I still wanted to thank you for giving me the idea. I love my new cutting board!

• says

I’m not sure where you live, but wax paper is sold in our grocery stores. It’s used when baking. You could also use freezer paper. The surface just need to be slippery, so the ink won’t dry too quickly.
      Thanks for stopping by!
      Angela

39. Karen says

Wax paper continuously got jammed in my printer. Gave up on this because we just bought this printer and I wasn’t about to break it. :( Bummed.

40. Ann says

You can inkjet print directly onto fabric. Just iron the fabric onto freezer paper…. this will give it the body it needs to go thru the printer. Print. Peel off the freezer paper and viola!!! I always press with high heat to make the image permanent. No need to reverse images!!!

41. Gena says

my sister and I tried for hours today to get a method to work using freezer paper, waxed paper, etc. My inkjet printer would just shoot out the transparency with nothing printed on it. Waxed paper had same results. freezer paper would not transfer.

what are we doing wrong?

• says

Gena, I’m not sure? It’s pretty weird that nothing is on the printing on the wax paper or transparencies. The only thing I can think of is it might be a setting, but if it’s printing the same image on the freezer paper, I’m stumped.

42. Dana Holmes says

Hello, first thank you for posting such a great tutorial. I have a question though. I did try this the other night and my image barley transferred to my cutting board. Does it matter which side you print the image onto the wax paper? I ask because mine didn’t turn out very well, wet or dry, (I did it twice) and wondered if I perhaps printed on the wrong side.
    Thanks!

Dana,
      I’m not sure why it’s so light? The wax paper should be waxy on both sides, but if for some reason yours has one side that is slicker, I would use that side. When I did mine, the ink stayed very wet for a long time. It might be the amount of ink your printer puts out, too? Sorry, I’m not much help!

• says

Lori, you can seal but if you use a spray sealer it might run. I would use a butcher wax.
      The first one I did I tried to sand it and it wasn’t coming off, so you might be OK?
      Good luck!

43. Christa Boush says

I love this idea! Is there a way to do this using a laser printer, as I do not have an inkjet?

44. says

You can actually print on fabric with an inkjet printer if it is cut to paper size and ironed onto freezer paper (waxy side). Both should be the size of a piece of paper. Once the fabric is printed, pull off the freezer paper and iron the back side of the fabric with a warm (not hot) iron. You will want something under the fabric when you iron it “in case” some ink comes off. I’ve not had that problem. My mother makes quilts using this technique. She gets some really unique fabric this way.

• leigh says

i tried ironing to set the ink and it washed out…someone told me to let the ink dry for 24 hours before washing….going to give it a go….for items that are transfered onto wood if you use a butcher block sealer it is food safe and washable….i use the brand Watco, its oil based so clean up is with mineral spirits, but that is what makes the item washable afterwards….love it……

45. Diana says

Is the ink permanent (won’t wash or rub off) or does it need to be “sealed” with something? Found your link on Pinterest!

46. Dee Ann says

You might want to try this method. Use an Avery Label Sheet instead of wax paper. First you will want to remove all the labels and borders. Your graphic should transfer to the label sheet by feeding it through your inkjet printer like you would if it were regular printer paper. Once your graphic is printed on the sheet, lightly wet your subject with a sponge. You should be able to burnish your picture onto the surface with the back of a spoon or credit card. (I haven’t tried this yet) but if it works, it might be easier than using a sheet of wax paper that may get jammed in the printer. (*note – use that slightly damp sponge to remove any remaining ink that remains on the avery label sheet and reuse. Good luck! I hope this makes sense.

47. Kathie Moffett says

I am excited to try this, I have a question about after you print on the wax paper how long do you have to transfer the image? Do you do it while it is still wet, or do you let the ink dry? Also I tried another method using freezer paper. I had a couple pieces of wood to play with. I found that the piece of wood that was smoother worked well. The other piece that was a LITTLE more rustic did not work at all.
    I really love that you take the time to answere all the questions.
    Found you on pinterest.

• says

Kathie, I haven’t done this project in a while but from what I remember I transferred it right away. Hopefully it will work for you!

48. says

What a great idea! I have two projects that have been sitting in my head for a while now. I now know how I will do them. Thank you so much for sharing. I love what you have done with your kitchen. Looks great. I will be stopping by more often!

49. Kalie D. says

wanted to let you know you can also do a transfer with copy paper. You get your transfer picked out and under your print properties select the mirror image and print. then u wet the wood. Not too wet just little more than damp. lay your paper down image side down. wet the paper but just a little more than damp. take the nose of pen cap and trace the transfer. press hard but try not to tear the paper. Lift transfer off and there it is.

50. Neesa Wharton says

Thanks so much for this tutorial. I was trying to do another method of wetting the paper, but wasn’t having any luck. It took a while to get it printed on the wax paper without it coming out of the printer smudged. At one point, I ran out of black ink. Even though it printed using other colors, the ink came out in little droplets instead of one smooth image. I read above that someone else had that problem. I would check on the ink settings. At first I tried wetting the wood, but it bled too much. Working with the painted and then sanded dry wood worked perfectly. Thank you!

51. JENNIE says

OMG this actually worked! I put a vintage Costa Rican stamp on a cutting board from Costa Rica and it looks fantastic. Thanks so much for posting this!

52. Kasi says

I saw in your instructions you have to work fast. Does this mean you cant make the transfer ahead of time and store them? I have a craft party coming up and have ideas for people to do small crafts at different stations and thought this might be kind of fun. But if i cant let the transfer sit it wouldnt work.

• says

Kasi, I’m not sure how well they would “keep?” My best suggestion, would be to try a small image on a scrap piece of wood in advance. I would love to know if this works for you!
      Thanks!
      Angela

53. Danielle says

Hi! Great idea. I was wondering which side of the wax paper should be facing up when running through the printer.

54. says

Hello Angela,
    Thanks so much for the great tutorial. I found you via The Graphics Fairy! I’m now a new follower and hope you’ll stop by for a visit and join my Frugal Treasures Tuesday party. Hope your weekend is going well.
    Barbe

55. Brittany says

Tried it…. jammed my printer. Tried to tape it to paper… jammed my printer. Tried to iron it to paper like you mentioned… didn’t work. Any other suggestions?? I would love to try this. Most transfer methods I’ve seen require a laser printer, and I have an inket…. so I would love if this worked. My printer you have to feed from the bottom, so I cant hand feed it… suggestions??

56. Megan says

Does this work with color ink as well? I want to put sepia toned pictures on wood and the only way I know to do this is use transfer tape or packaging tape and soaking the paper in water. To do this, I have to use toner ink. Has anyone tried this with color in using color ink from a regular home printer?

57. Maria says

The best transfer method I’ve used (and have tried them all). I’ve used this on plain wood, painted surfaces, clay pots…I love it!

I seal the transfers on wood with paste wax. You can also use a spray sealer such as clear Krylon spray paint. On fabrics, I use a hot iron to set it. Before you wash, you can mist/spray vinegar directly onto it to help keeping it from fading.

Thanks for the great tip!

58. Donna Million says

Have you ever tried to use scrapbook velum? It is heavier and would go through printer easier but didn’t know if it would work or not. Thanks for posting such a cool idea.
    Donna

• says

Randi, I think the stain will make it run? I would use the stain first then do the transfer and if you need to seal it, use a wax or paste?

59. Michelle says

I tried this method to make a tray for a friend’s wedding…. But the concern I ran into was the ink would get smudged during printing and there weren’t clean prints to actually use. Any tips/ideas? I tried doing “best quality” “fast draft” etc and nothing helped.

• says

Michelle, I know some people have trouble with different printers. My only suggestion is to try to clean the rollers if you can. My guess is there is ink on them and it’s transferring to the wax paper? I’m not sure if that’s the case, but I can’t think of any other solutions? Good luck and I would love to know if you get it to work! :)

60. Beth says

Ok, this inspires me to ask a question ….

I’m doing my backsplash in beadboard wallpaper. If you’ve not used it or are familiar with it, it’s thick and has a sort of foamy texture. I plan to paint it with a high quality enamel to seal it well. I would love to stencil something on it, as if it were old wood that had been stenciled years ago. A transfer would certainly be more affordable and a much larger selection (graphics fairy has everything you could ever want. ever.) but I’m wondering how much pressure you used with the card? I’m afraid the wallpaper would “dent”. Is there another transfer method I could use?

I thought about a projector and tracing it, but I want it weathered and somewhat faded, like the transfer would be.

• says

Beth, depending on how well your printer works with the wax paper you could probably make it work. The less pressure the more it will look “aged.” I would definitely try it out on a scrap before you do it on your new wall, but make sure when you test it you are using the same angle. My worry is it will be harder to do on a wall. Definitely do it with another person and painters tape might be good to keep it from slipping. I’d love to know if you try it!!

61. Anna says

Hey i’ve been looking for a cheaper version on how to transfer stuff and i will definitily be trying this but just curious can you wash the item you transfered onto after and it won’t come off?

62. Deb M says

I just tried this and it worked great! I made a toy box from an old wine crate for my dog and matched the fonts in the original design. I love it, thanks!!

63. DeB M says

Love this method but it kept jamming ing the printer so I tried parchment paper. Worked worlds better! You should try it!

64. Daph says

I’ve used a similar method to transfer news paper print to a nail ,, wonder soaking the wood (surface) would help to minimize the smearing

65. Patricia says

I’m so excited about using this method. I wonder if it would help to leave the wax paper on the transfer object for a few hours to let the image dry.

66. Stefanie Ham says

YOU are Awesome!! I too have been looking for something like this. I wanted to make my own Marine shirts cause our oldest in right now and we have 7 kids and wanted to make t-shirts. Also I love vintage looking signs. Any advice about the transfers for t-shirts PLEASE let me know. Thank you Stef

67. Ally says

LOVED this idea, I was so happy to find it since I had been working on some signs that I found at our thrift store, and I could never find the perfect method to have the decorative type on my signs… I also wanted to say that my transferring worked on a painted surface just fine. I tested it first on the back, but the text came out nice and dark, even over the paint. :) Thanks again!!!

68. James says

Everyone that is having trouble with the wax paper…do this instead: Take any of your Avery or other brand label sheets and peel off all the labels/borders. You are left with a wax paper with paper backing that fits and goes perfectly through the printer. Still just for inkjets, no laser.

• Sangria says

I have tried it with avery clear transfer paper, with the clear sheet still on it and my printer just spit it out…….I will try by peeling it first……pray it works

69. Lisa says

This is a great idea! I am going to try it on a t-shirt. Do I need to wet my shirt first, as you did the wood as well? (:

• says

Lisa, when I tried it on fabric I just got a damp cloth and patted the surface I wanted to transfer it to. It was barely damp. It worked well for me, but I haven’t tried t-shirt material. I would try it on a scrap first just to be safe.

70. emma says

I’m wanting to do this on a guitar pick but would I need to seal the print with anything so it doesn’t rub off onto my fingers?:Px And if so what should I use?

Emma,
      If the pick is made of wood, once it dries it shouldn’t come off. If the wood you are using has a finish on it, you will need to sand it pretty good before you use the transfer. If the pick is plastic, I’m not sure if this will stay permanently. Hope this works for you!

71. says

I found your site through The Graphic Fairy DIY site. I have an old antique wood chair that had the seat caned (ripped out years ago) so I cut plywood and covered it with foam, batting and a cream and black checkered fabric, now I want to use some of Karen’s great graphics and some old black and white photos transferred onto flour sack pillows to sit on my cute new chair! Not to worried about washing them, because the older they get the better they will look! Thanks for sharing this great tutorial!
    Crafty Hugs,
    Pendra
    pendrasplace.blogspot.com

• says

Mari, I’m not sure about images in general on the Ipad. I only use mine for internet and generally stay away from even typing on it! ;) Sorry, I’m not much help!

72. Laura says

This didn’t work. I tried it over and over and over last night, and the results were consistently horrid. I have an inkjet printer, the images print okay on wax paper, then they are either way too light on the wood, or they blur, or they smear, or only parts of the image transfer, or a combination of the above. I tried wetting the wood different amounts, not wetting it, printing with different amounts of ink (draft, regular, high quality, everything), trying color ink, using black ink only, printing on both sides of the wax paper to see if that made a difference, transferring the images right away, waiting a while to transfer the images, everything I could think of. I wasted $20 worth of little wood pieces from the craft store trying to get even just one halfway decent image. Just awful.

• A Different Laura says

Laura – That sucks for you. I tried, followed the directions exactly and it turned out simply perfectly! I am actually doing a series of these for little Christmas gifts with amazing vintage graphics from the graphics fairy. I even did multiple images on uneven, rustic reclaimed wood planks that are stained a dark color and it still turned out amazing every time. I just followed the directions exactly. You’re clearly doing something very wrong!!! It’s super easy! Are your hands really shaky or something? Do you move the image around after you lay it down? It’s truly quite hard to mess this up. Your failure at this project is obviously not a reflection on the writer’s tutorial… which is wonderful, clear, concise and simple to follow. Thanks for the great instructions!!!!
      - a different Laura

73. Lauren says

hi, i was thinking about doing this on some big letters for my sister for christmas, but the letters are painted..

i was wondering if this idea would work on painted wood, or does it work just on plain wood?

thanks

• says

Lauren, it should work on painted wood. Some people have had trouble with how dark it comes out. I would just test it first on a piece of scrap or an area that won’t matter if it gets messed up. All printers are different! ;) Good luck!

74. says

This is a cool idea – I didn’t read all the comments, just enough to see that people were having trouble with the waxed paper jamming in their printers. You could try taping the leading edge of the waxed paper to a normal sheet of paper and then feed that through the printer.
    I enjoy your blog!

75. Stephanie says

I was just wondering how the transfer held up after it was dry? If it gets wet does it come off? Can you use the cutting board? Love the Idea and am going to try it. I just wanted to know

• says

Stephanie, on the pizza peel it never came off or faded. The wood didn’t have any finish on it, so I’m not sure if it has a finish how it will hold up. I just used mine for decorative purposes, so I’m not sure how food safe it would be. Hope some of that helped! :)

76. Carol Bolick says

Hi, I am trying this on a project and wanted to see if once I print it on the wax do I have to transfer immediately or can that part wait a day before transferring. I want to print it at home but then would go to another location to transfer. Sounds strange, I know but it is a Christmas project for a family member! Thanks

• says

Carol, I haven’t tried it this way. My only suggestion would be to do a test run. Use a smaller version on a piece of scrap material. Sorry, I’m not more help!

77. Sangria says

Wahhhhhhh….it didn’t work!!!! I got all the way up to loading my wax paper in my printer then i hit print…….and it jammed over and over again!! I even taped it to a blank sheet of paper and wahhhhhhhhh it didn’t work! I even bought those clear transfer papers at staples and it too just got swept up by the rollers of the printer and got spitted out without printing anything on it!!!! The print that I have is quite detailed and so this is the best method I think to get all them pretty details on my cabinet door cuz there’s no way imma trace it all with a sharpie no thanx! Is my project doomed!!???

Signed,
    Desparately seeking transfer method

• Sangria says

OK…..OH….MY….GOD!!!!! There was a person that commented on here to spray adhesive on a regular blank sheet of paper and paste the wax paper onto it…then cut the edges to make it even with the paper width. CAN I JUST SAY “THANK THE GOD LORD THAT IT WORKED!!!!!!!!” All my frustration of spending 4 hrs the other day is gone and now this is easier than ever! And on top of it all….it transferred so dark enough onto my chalk paint painted cabinet doors that I won’t even need to go over it with a sharpie or black paint! I’m freaking out is so good!!! Seeing that I have an addictive personality….I’m gonna do this to EVERYTHING in the house!! ANGEL-A u awsome lady u!!!! Thanx so much for making the effort to post this and show us ur wicked pizza board!

78. Kimberly says

Dang. Wish this worked for transfering to glass. I mean it transfers, but it always wipes right off the glass. LOL

79. alyssa says

found you on pinterest! i wonder if this would work on wood letters (without finish or laquer) and transfer black and white photos… i know color wasnt working too well for ppl up above but did anyone try actual images instead of just letter? i know images work well with the nail polish transfer method.. i wonder if this method will do the same? anyone try it? let me know :)

80. Lexy says

Hi! I am wanting to transfer onto a cheap folable white box (you know the kind you rush to get at the dollar store at Christmas time to get the job done) I am a college student and can’t afford to get canvas for the transfer I would like to do and thought using half of a gift box would be a cheap alternate……will this method work on things other than wood?

• says

Amber, it works on some fabrics. It will need to be a very tight weave. I had actually started working on a post a few months ago about using this technique on fabric. I guess I need to finish it! :)

81. cam says

Hi Angela,
    I just discovered you and am excited to play around with transfers. Have you done anything on tin or tin cans?? Applying heat would be tricky. Would you paint the surface first? Acrylic paint?
    Thanks!!

82. Stephanie H. says

Just a FYI…my daughter and I could not get this to work – the wax paper would not go through the printer at all until we attached it to piece of printer paper…then WAAAA-LAA!!!! Went through first time! Now, here’s to hoping we figured out which side of the wax paper was the right one :)

83. MB says

FYI …. I do not recommend anyone with a Kodak All in one print try this. I did it and it ruined my printer. I had to go buy a new one. The wax from the wax paper sicks to or clogs the printer head. My printer was working fine before I feed the wax paper through it and then it wouldnt print anything after I did it. Just a blank page. I replaced all the ink cartridges twice with new ones even took out and cleaned the printer head. Nothing worked, so Im just giving a warning!

84. megan says

Hello Angela, it’s really nice to see this thread is still so alive!

I have been loving image transfer forever and since Polaroid no longer makes my beloved 669 (and there are just NO substitutes ), i’ve been playing with different transfer techniques. This one is full of potential for my work and I’m so excited. Your tutorial is succinct, beautifully shot and very well written. I have tried this method with two of my printers, with no success (yet!). I’m not sure if I missed it somewhere but may I ask which printer and inks you find works best for this technique? Thanks Angela, and when i do get some interesting results I’ll be sure to let you know.

• says

Megan, I have a very cheap printer. It’s an HP Deskjet 1000. (I think it was under $30.) The only other advice I have is to try using the Avery label pages. After you have used all the labels, save the backer. It has a wax finish on it and is sturdier than the wax paper. You can reuse it a few times, too. Just wipe it with a damp paper towel.
      Good luck!
      Angela

85. Melanie says

Hi Angela! What a great project, I can’t wait to try it! Do you think that if I use a double sided tape it might keep the transfer from moving and smudging? I’ll give it a go and see how it turns out :)

• says

Melanie, I think that might work. The whole trick is not getting it move, so laying it down carefully is the most important part. Let me know how it works!
      Angela

86. Tammy says

Loved this idea! The wax paper did not work for me unfortunately. But came up with an idea that worked beautifully! I used a ‘sheet protector’ left over from my childrens school projects. I placed a piece of typing paper in the sheet protector and had to trim the the one edge that had the holes in it (exactly to the size of the paper). I then taped this side – top, bottom and middle. Ran it through my printer and it worked brilliantly! I ran the credit card over it and wha la! Took a paper towel and was able to wipe off it off and now can re-use it!

87. Carrie says

Tried this tonight and putting the wax paper by itself was a bust. Then I used spry adhesive to glue the wax paper to printer paper and had no problem! I used some French typography on some old chippy boxes I had painted, sanded, painted, sanded, added crackle, painted and sanded one more time and they look fantastic. I dampened the surface slightly first so the ink would be darker and it was just right. Thank you so much for the tutorial!

88. Kristi says

Just wondering if any of the wax rubs off… I’m wanting to stain the wood after the transfer, and I’m afraid if the wax rubs onto the wood it will not accept the stain. Has anyone tried this?

• says

I know other people have stained over the transfer and it worked fine. I don’t think you would have any trouble, but you might want to test it first.

89. Lora says

Hey there. You are probably getting tired of answering questions on this topic..BUT:
    I am wondering if it makes a difference on how the paper is fed through the printer? Some home printers have the drawer underneath, and others you stack the paper horizontally in a tray. That is probably one of the reasons why this works for some but not others.
    My printer has the drawer, what type do you have?

• says

Lora, I have a printer that feeds from the top. It probably will make a huge difference! Mine, I can make sure it feeds into the printer, and you probably won’t be able to do that with a drawer.

90. April says

I found you on pinterest and knew I would use this idea for a classroom auction project. I had all the kids draw pictures of them selves and then scanned them in, printed them on was paper (just taped the top edge to (cardstock) and rubbed them on a small toy chest. It was so easy! Thank you for sharing your brilliance!

91. Adrianna Lucero says

Can you do this on fabric as well, and then trace it over with fabric paint/marker to make sure it stays permanently??

92. Sally says

Has anyone tried this on a tile? I have a smooth, porous tile (like sandstone) that I would like to transfer to. It is about 4″ round. Would it be hard to line up the print with the tile?

93. Jean says

Saw on one website where they were using parchment paper rather than wax paper and having good results. I have printed images directly onto small pieces of fabric using my Epson printer by taping the fabric to freezer paper and running it through.

94. Amirah says

This was amazing! Who knew that instead of going out to buy 5 sheets of transfer paper at an expensive price, that I could use wax paper (which actually looks so much better than store bought transfer paper!). In my case, I used it for a t-shirt transfers (for templates to paint) and I used a glue stick to attach wax paper to a sheet of 81/2 by 11 printer paper. I then put it in my inkjet printer and let it do the rest. You were certainly right, I dampened my t-shirt with the water from the iron before putting the picture on and it came out very clear and very detailed!!! Thank you so much! I can enjoy transferring design templates now without having to worry about running out of paper. :-)

95. Toni says

Hi, Has anyone tried this on furniture like the top of a coffee table? I am trying to figure out how to seal it so that the ink is not smudged. I have tried brushing lightly with Polycrylic over the top and that smeared my ink :( and I have wax, but I know rubbing wax over the top will for sure smear the ink. Any ideas? :) P.S. I put the French typography over Annie Sloan Chalk Paint on a coffee table and it looks AMAZING–now to seal it :/

• says

Tony, I haven’t ever used a sealer but I’m pretty sure others have. My suggestion would be to try a spray sealer and just do really light coats? Hope you find a solution and I would love to see the final result! :)

96. Michelle says

I am printing to this wax paper and transferring it to a Longaberger basket lid – it has a sheen to it and I’m wondering if it will stick – should I sand it down a bit before hand?

97. Fran B. says

Great technique and very easy. Also, I love the backsplash in your kitchen. Everything ties together perfectly.

98. says

Just wondering, not going to read through 300 comments (lucky you)…and it’s super, since I live in Canada, and can’t get freezer paper here anywhere…but, can you use this on fabric? And, will it be washable? Thanks!

• says

Stacy, it all depends on the fabric. The tighter the weave, the better. It doesn’t wash the best, but if you use a hot iron before washing it helps a little.

99. Shelley says

I just did this on my chalk painted coffee table. Just taped the wax paper to a piece of card stock and worked great. Now my only question…how do I seal it? Chalk paint needs to be waxed, but I’m afraid waxing it will smear it. Any suggestions? I may use a spray shellac, only thing I can think of.

• says

My suggestion would be to try it on a scrap piece of wood, but I think a spray shellac would work best. I would just do very light coats. Hope it works for you!!

100. says

thank you so much for this. i was prepared to try the wax paper method but chickened out after seeing so many failed attempts and so i tried the iron on tip someone else suggest. it totally worked. i printed my graphic (from graphic fairy) taped it into place on the table i wanted to do and then i dampened a dish towel and layed it over the transfer and ironed it till the towel was dry. i had my iron on the linen setting (hottest) no steam and applied a lot of pressure, trying not to move my graphic. i like it, thank you!

101. Chantel Phelps says

Going to try this tonight. I’ve been adding artwork to tee shirts for a while now, via tracing the image onto the shirt and then painting, but I think this would work perfect, being that I don’t need the original tracing to last, because I paint over it. Thank you! Fingers crossed! :)

102. Dusanka says

Hello!
    Thank you for share with us. I would like to know about wax paper. Is it a baking paper?
    Thank you.

103. manuela kuiper says

Hello,
    My name is Manuela and i from the Netherlands.
    I dont know what wax paper is, can you tell me what it is?
    So i can use it to. It is a great idea!!!

Greeting from Holland
    Manuela

104. Magi says

I have tried several methods to try transfer on chalk painted surfaces & they didn’t work. I tried the wax paper but my printer ate it! So I tried again with freezer paper & printed on the waxy side. It worked great. Thanks for the idea! :)

105. Alan says

If the wax paper won’t got through your printer make a “backing” out of a sheet of paper. Fold a lip over the leading edge and use a small piece of tape to hold it. Also as a guide you can use a piece with a test print of your design. This will help to keep the size accurate. Remember to make sure the wax paper is in loaded correctly. You don’t want to print on the paper side.
    I figured this out after cutting out too many pieces of wax paper only to have them jam. I also tried parchment paper. Didn’t work.

106. Nicole says

I couldn’t wait to try it so I went out at 1:30am to get wax paper and tried it as soon as I got home. It worked great on my brother printer, I put it in the empty paper tray. You do not know how much time you have saved me! THANK YOU!!!

107. Patty says

I used this method to add a letter, (monogram-type), to a glass bottle that I painted with chalk paint. Since I didn’t have your page open, and was going from memory, I just printed the letter on regular copy paper, lightly moistened the area where the letter was going, and rubbed with the edge of a paint stirrer. It worked beautifully! However, when I looked at your directions again, I saw that you had used waxed paper. So, I tested the regular copy paper on a piece of unfinished, scrap wood, moistening the wood lightly, and it worked just as well. This may be helpful for anyone who doesn’t have ready access to waxed paper.
    Thanks so much!

108. Carrie says

Wow! Thank you so much. From last minute moms every where you just saved the day. It took a little patience to get an even color ink layer (due to my printer) but it transferred to a damp white t shirt beautifully.

109. says

I tried the wax paper method. I too have a Brothers printer -paid a arm and a leg for it. I read on here that some folks were having issues with this printer. This is what I did -

I took one of those full size White Shipping Labels sheets (Avery 5265) peeled the backing off of it. Placed the sticky side up on the counter, took a piece of wax paper a little longer than the label, placed the extra at the edge of the counter and leaned on it – to keep it taunt, placed it right on the sticky side of the label. Trimmed the extra wax paper off the edges to conform to the label. Then I put the label in the printer and it worked like magic. Printed on the wax paper – and then placed it face down on the piece I transferred to, taped the corners so it wouldn’t shift around, rubbed with a large spoon and then lifted it up to check – MAGIC..that was so much easier than any other transfer method by far!!

110. Chris Judas says

I experimented with this and it DOES work!! I did find if you tape the wax paper to a sheet of printer paper it will feed thru the printer A LOT easier. Then just tear or cut the 2 sheets apart and follow the rest of the directions.

111. Camille says

I LOVE this tutorial! I have not tried this method yet, but I found it on the Graphics Fairy. I need some clarification, Angela. I see you call it wax paper, but in a later comment, it is described as white one side and slick on one side. I thought wax paper was clear with both sides slick and freezer paper was white with one slick side. And to throw yet another kink in my question, could the wax paper you’re referring to also be known as parchment paper?

I think this an awesome idea, but I just wanted to double check before I got started. Thank you so much for your continued support of this post. I know it’s a couple of years old, but I know we all appreciate it so much!

I’m also a new follower! Thank you again, Angela!

• says

Camille, yes in my original tutorial I used wax paper (slick on BOTH sides) so it doesn’t matter which side you use. :) I haven’t tried freezer paper, but it might work just as good or better since it’s thicker. For the freezer paper you would want to use the slick side. I haven’t used parchment paper, but I’m not sure how well that would work. Hope that helps and that the transfer works well for you!!
      Thanks for following!!
      Angela

112. Sherry says

I’m so excited to try this. Do you think it would work on paper bags? My printer won’t take them to print directly.

113. says

Hi I have never seen wax paper in the UK, does anyone know where I can get it? I have seen on Amazon but not particularly cheap with postage. Really want to give it a try!

• says

Sue, there are some other options you can use. If you have peel and stick labels, you can use the paper they come on. After you’ve used all the labels, use the slick side to print on. You can also use freezer paper. Again just use the slick side. Hope that helps!! :)

114. ozz says

Hello. thanks for very useful informations. I Just want to know is it durable? I ve noticed you did it first on natural wood at 2011 and is it still has lively color?
    Regards.

115. Gaea says

What if you put athin towel or something over it and ironed it on? Would that work better for fabric? And maybe lightly misting the fabric first also.

116. Stephanie says

Hi, this is a great idea, I just have one question:
    Will it work on clothing and if so, dark clothing??
    Thanks

117. Nicole Winter says

This is gorgeous! I am very excited to give it a try. Some friends just bought a new home and I want to give them a personalized cutting board for a house warming gift. I have a lovely bamboo board. I am just wondering how long the transfer last? If it lasts a really long time, through repeated washings I will just give my friends the cutting board. But if the transfer fades fairly quickly I want to let them know so they save it for special occasions, or just for bread. Thanks for sharing your lovely talent!

• says

Nicole, it has lasted a long time on my board, but I don’t really use it. It’s more of a decorative piece. Also, my board didn’t have any oil or treatment, so the ink really soaked in. Hopefully that will help you!?
      Thanks for stopping by!

118. Christine says

Cool…was thinking today….how can I transfer a picture or outline to a rock so I can paint it….will try this!

119. Cynthia says

I’ve seen where several people have been successful in placing the image on chalk paint. I’m nervous to try because when you wet the chalk paint won’t it come off?? Also, many have commented that they are looking for ways to seal it after so the ink won’t smear. I’ve seen some suggestions but I haven’t seen where anyone has been successful and then posted the solution. I would love to use this method but I need to know the area can be sealed. Thank you!

120. Jean Watkins Corley says

I want to make sure— you print on the wax side of the paper. Have you tried printing on the wax side of Freezer paper?

121. Brooks says

I was reading through previous commentsa and saw that someone brought up the idea of canvas, which is what I wanted to try this on. Has anyone tried this on canvas yet? Can’t wait to try it out. Just wondering if anyone had any experience doing this on canvas and maybe had some tips! Thanks!

122. Gillian says

Hi I have just successfully tried this method and the results are amazing. I have used it on painted wood and I’m now wanting to seal it but nervous my ink will run. Have you any suggestions as what to use, wax , varnish etc x

• says

Gillian, sorry I am just seeing your comment!! Yes you can seal it with a spray…that works best. I updated the post with a link to my trials for sealant. :)

123. wendy says

I have tried this about 12 times and was only successful twice. My wax paper keeps causing paper jams. I don’t know what I did that made it successful twice. I have an HP inkjet printer. Looks great, but I need to repeat to finish my project.

• says

Wendy, try using a label page. After you use all the labels it has a slick side that can be used just like wax paper. It will go through your printer a lot easier! Hopefully that will help! :)

124. Nat says

I was wondering if this works on shirts??? I am going to a concert soon and I would like to have a shirt with the band’s logo on it and I have tried the modpodge method and it almost ruined my shirt, gladly I was able to wash it off. I don’t want to risk ruining my shirt again

• says

Nat, it will work but it can be temperamental! You need the fabric to taunt but you don’t want it pulled when you are transferring it, if that makes sense? It will fade some when you wash it also. Hopefully that helped?!?! :)

125. María J. says

Good morning from Spain Angela!!
    Many thanks for your creative ideas. I’ve been able to do everything you point out, but sadly when it comes to print on such thin paper my computer “thinks” there aren’t any paper… :(

Any suggestions please?

• says

Maria, try taping it to a piece of paper? If that doesn’t work you can use an empty label page. The side that the labels are adhered to is slick, so it works the same as wax paper.
      Hopefully that helps! :)

126. Amanda says

Hi,

I was hoping to test out this method for some DIY wedding invitations. I will be trying it on homemade paper. Have you ever tried that? If so, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Amanda

127. Molly says

I’m trying to do something similar to this, except I’m trying to transfer an image onto a white pillar candle. I’ve seen another tutorial that says to print out an image on tracing paper, let it dry, cut out the image and use another piece of tracing paper to hold the image against the candle and then use a hair dryer to melt the image onto the candle. The tutorial looked great but I’m a little skeptic. Any idea if the method you used would work on a candle?

• says

Molly, I have used this method on a candle before but it’s very tricky. You can’t let the image move AT ALL or it will smear and you are working on a rounded surface which is more difficult.

128. Amy says

I’m having trouble with getting the printer to not eat the wax paper…….anyone else have that problem or is it just me? :(

• says

Amy, you can use the label sheets or some people have had success with freezer paper. You just want to make sure and use the waxy side of both.

129. Jacquie Sunshine says

Thank you so much for teaching me this cool little trick. Not something I thought of but for sure going to try out now. Keep up all your hard working putting this together to let us know, greatly appreciated and love seeing what other ppl do

130. Amanda says

Can you use the cutting board after transferring image to board? if you do not seal it will the image run off when wet?

• says

I made mine specifically for a decorative purpose, but if you only put a design on one side and used the other for chopping it would probably be fine. My image did not come off with water but if your wood has any kind of treatment it might. I would do a spot test first, just to make sure. :)

Trackbacks

1. […] Transfer paper is really expensive! You can only use it once, how crazy is that?! Why not use wax paper for transfer paper? DIY Wax Paper Transfer Paper This project will take you about 10 minutes and once you try it you will be hooked. You need a printer, wax paper, a medium you want to transfer onto, and a credit card (or something to scrape the ink off with). I love detailed tutorials-and here is another one to add to the list of great ones! Unexpected Elegance  […]