After the holidays I always feel like I need to eat healthier. I have eaten so many desserts that I my body needs a little detoxing at the beginning of the new year!
A friend of mine made this zucchini and tomato soup for a get-together a few months ago and it was so delicious that I had to have the recipe. It’s easy to make and the perfect HEALTHY soup for a cold day.
Ingredients: 4-6 cloves of garlic, 1 Vidalia onion, 1/3 cup of olive oil, 2-3 larger zucchini, 6 cups of crushed tomatoes (approx. (2) 28 oz. cans), 2 cups of diced tomatoes, 6-8 oz half and half, 2-3 tablespoons of basil, salt and pepper.
- Sauté the garlic (more the merrier) and onion in 1/3 cup of olive oil in a pot over medium heat… Stir often to prevent burning.
- Peel and chop zucchini into small cubes 4-5 cups (add more if you want).
- Once garlic and onions are brown, add zucchini and let it cook for about 10 more minutes until zucchini softens ( stir often to prevent burning).
- Add 6 cups of CRUSHED tomatoes to the pot and 2 cups of DICED tomatoes.
- Simmer for 30 minutes
- Add 6 to 8oz of half and half, salt to taste and a teaspoon of black pepper, then simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Stir in 2-3 tablespoons of basil and serve. Optional: top with shredded or grated Parmesan cheese.