We started by removing all the cabinets ourselves. We saved all the uppers and moved some to our laundry room and gave some to a neighbor for her laundry. The previous owners had just recently put in the hardwood floors, so that saved us a lot of $$. The next task was to increase the size of the opening between the kitchen and living room. Thanks to my dad we did it ourselves…he had to move a pipe!
Next the cabinet guy, yes one man, came to install my cabinets. I also used a coupon on these! I ordered them semi-custom from a home improvement store who was already having a sale. I think I saved around $1500 in the end! I had gotten a quote for granite from the same store and wasn’t sure how I was going to fit it into my budget. So I called around to local suppliers and got the counters for a little more than half of the quote from the improvement store. They had also said it would take about two weeks AFTER the cabinets were installed to get the counters…I have two kids, I NEEDed my kitchen back!! Anyway, the local supplier came to measure as soon as the base cabinets were in and installed the counters two days later, before the “cabinet guy” was even finished!! (If you live in the Indianapolis area and want granite I will give you the name of the supplier we used!)
Now that all the work we were paying for was complete, it was time for me to get to work!… I will finish the remodel tomorrow and reveal the finished product!