kick-off to summer: mommies night

Tuesday night we officially kicked-off summer in my neighborhood!!  We had our, first of the season, annual Mommies & Mojitios.  {We call it that but we rarely have mojitos.}  We try to schedule these every other week during the summer, on a week night, in one of our backyards.
It’s a great time to spend with the people we see all the time, but don’t actually have to time to stop and chat with.  We have gotten to know each other SO much better from our “little” summer get-togethers.  Actually knowing your neighbors can be such an awesome thing…especially if you are like me with no family close.  My neighbors help me out so much and I’m really blessed!  I guess this this wouldn’t be the best idea, if you and your neighbors didn’t like each other! ;)
I’m the weirdo of our group who always tries to have a theme!  The ladies just expect it now.  {Hey, I haven’t asked them to come dressed for the theme…but that does give me an idea!}
Last year I had a French theme.  You can find the photos here.
So, this year I did more of a Country Living theme. We went to Ikea this past weekend and I found some really cute napkins that became the inspiration.

And my drink was not a mojitos (I’m not a huge mint person). I made a white sangria, that actually came out GREAT. I had a recipe but didn’t really follow it. I like my sangria a little less sweet.
Here’s my version and it made enough for 11 people.

White Sangria

2 bottles Sauvignon Blanc
1 bottle Chardonnay
4 oz. bourbon
2/3 C white sugar (add a little water and disolve over heat)
1/2 bottle Apple Orange and Pinapple Juice
1/2 bottle of ginger ale
1/4 bottle of club soda (1 liter bottle)
Mix all of the above ingredients and chill for a few hours.
Fruit (apples, black berries and raspberries)
Add the fruit about an hour before serving and save some to garnish.

I used things from around my house and only bought the napkins, a few hygrangas, and the food.  For the drinks I used really cheap wine (you are mixing so it doesn’t need to be fancy!) and bought bakery items from the grocery store.
If you try to come up with a theme that you are can use things from around your home, it is really cheap to entertain! :)
Does anyone else have anything fun they do during the summer?
~Angela

Join Me

Angela

I am an avid DIYer with a passion for making my house a home.I'd love for you to join me on my adventures!
Join Me

Latest posts by Angela (see all)

Comments

1. says

Sure wish I lived in your neighborhood. Love the spread and the sangria sound delish. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
    Fran

2. says

What a great outdoor space! This looks like the perfect set-up for our next Bunco party! That chalkboard is such a great idea for outside!

Thanks for linking up to our party!
    blessings,
    karianne

• says

Thanks, Karianne! We have discussed Bunco!! I have another deck right next to the pergola so it would be a great place for multiple tables.
      Thanks for hosting the party!
      ~Angela

3. says

what a great idea. the painted teal floor in your photo at “at the picket fence” drew me right in. wish i was one of your neighbors! :-) the white sangria sounds wonderful.
    blessings,
    ann

4. Jacqie says

That sounds so fun! Hopefully we will have some fun neighbors move in … all of our current neighbors we know are moving! Hopefully we aren’t the reason! :) Love reading your blog and seeing what you are all up to. You’re so creative!

• says

Thanks, Jacquie! We actually are in that same situation. The two houses on either side of us just sold and the one across the street sold about 6 months ago. We joked that it must be us, too! ;) Luckily most of the families we hang out with are still here.
      Take care!
      Angela

5. says

I love the idea of your summertime porch parties with your neighbors (and I would probably do a theme thing too sans costumes; don’t think I could get the hubby on board for that!)…

… and so very happy you shared your amazing porch and summer neighbor fun at our Great Outdoors link party!

Linda

6. says

Love white sangria, love your porch and theme and wish I was your neighbor! And I love all things chalkboard so having one outside is fabulous!

What a fun night – sounds like a great group of gals.

So glad you joined our Outdoors party.
    Kelly

• says

Kelly, I just bring the chalkboard out for parties. It’s normally in my dining room…just in case you have one inside you could take out! ;) Thanks for hosting!

7. says

So beautiful Angela! First I have to tell you I almost named my last born Angela! Very pretty name…I love everything you have done with your home. You have the eye and great talent!!

~ Julie
    redheadcandecorate.com

Trackbacks

1. […] During the summer, our neighborhood moms get together in the evening about twice a month.  It is a great way for us to catch-up and spend time together…away from the chaos for a few hours!  My friend Tiffany started it a few years ago and called it Mommies & Mojitos.  We rotate between houses and this week was my turn to host. So, of course I came up with a theme for Monday night…Monday morning!  Luckily I had just about everything on hand and only had to make a quick trip to Trader Joe’s. Hopefully you can tell from the pictures, but if not, it was a French inspired theme. It has been so hot this week (and it’s only supposed to get worse!) so I set-up two of my vintage fans.  I was trying to keep the theme. Eat, Drink and Be Merry! Lots of Frenchy hors D’oeuvres.  (I should have had some crudités…veggies, just so I could mention it in my post!  ) We always have so much fun and many laughs on our M&M’s night.  Thanks ladies for the memories! Hope you are all having a wonderful week. ~Angela Check out more of our Mom’s nights:  Country Living Night […]