kick-off to summer: mommies night

by Angela on May 31, 2012

Tuesday night we officially kicked-off summer in my neighborhood!!  We had our, first of the season, annual Mommies & Mojitios.  {We call it that but we rarely have mojitos.}  We try to schedule these every other week during the summer, on a week night, in one of our backyards.
It’s a great time to spend with the people we see all the time, but don’t actually have to time to stop and chat with.  We have gotten to know each other SO much better from our “little” summer get-togethers.  Actually knowing your neighbors can be such an awesome thing…especially if you are like me with no family close.  My neighbors help me out so much and I’m really blessed!  I guess this this wouldn’t be the best idea, if you and your neighbors didn’t like each other! ;)
I’m the weirdo of our group who always tries to have a theme!  The ladies just expect it now.  {Hey, I haven’t asked them to come dressed for the theme…but that does give me an idea!}
Last year I had a French theme.  You can find the photos here.
So, this year I did more of a Country Living theme. We went to Ikea this past weekend and I found some really cute napkins that became the inspiration.

And my drink was not a mojitos (I’m not a huge mint person). I made a white sangria, that actually came out GREAT. I had a recipe but didn’t really follow it. I like my sangria a little less sweet.
Here’s my version and it made enough for 11 people.

White Sangria

2 bottles Sauvignon Blanc
1 bottle Chardonnay
4 oz. bourbon
2/3 C white sugar (add a little water and disolve over heat)
1/2 bottle Apple Orange and Pinapple Juice
1/2 bottle of ginger ale
1/4 bottle of club soda (1 liter bottle)
Mix all of the above ingredients and chill for a few hours.
Fruit (apples, black berries and raspberries)
Add the fruit about an hour before serving and save some to garnish.

I used things from around my house and only bought the napkins, a few hygrangas, and the food.  For the drinks I used really cheap wine (you are mixing so it doesn’t need to be fancy!) and bought bakery items from the grocery store.
If you try to come up with a theme that you are can use things from around your home, it is really cheap to entertain! :)
Does anyone else have anything fun they do during the summer?
~Angela

{ 19 comments… read them below or add one }

Fran May 31, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Sure wish I lived in your neighborhood. Love the spread and the sangria sound delish. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Fran

Angela June 1, 2012 at 2:05 am

Thanks, Fran! Let me know if you try it.

susan@avintagefarmwife May 31, 2012 at 11:56 pm

Everything looks so pretty! I especially love the napkins, the serving dish on the scales, and the old cake cover. You have inspired me! Thanks.

Angela June 1, 2012 at 2:04 am

Thanks, Susan!!

thistle June 1, 2012 at 12:05 am

What a great outdoor space! This looks like the perfect set-up for our next Bunco party! That chalkboard is such a great idea for outside!

Thanks for linking up to our party!
blessings,
karianne

Angela June 1, 2012 at 2:04 am

Thanks, Karianne! We have discussed Bunco!! I have another deck right next to the pergola so it would be a great place for multiple tables.
Thanks for hosting the party!
~Angela

ann June 1, 2012 at 12:30 am

what a great idea. the painted teal floor in your photo at “at the picket fence” drew me right in. wish i was one of your neighbors! :-) the white sangria sounds wonderful.
blessings,
ann

Angela June 1, 2012 at 2:01 am

Thanks, Ann! We are a welcoming crowd! ;)

Jacqie June 1, 2012 at 3:13 am

That sounds so fun! Hopefully we will have some fun neighbors move in … all of our current neighbors we know are moving! Hopefully we aren’t the reason! :) Love reading your blog and seeing what you are all up to. You’re so creative!

Angela June 1, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Thanks, Jacquie! We actually are in that same situation. The two houses on either side of us just sold and the one across the street sold about 6 months ago. We joked that it must be us, too! ;) Luckily most of the families we hang out with are still here.
Take care!
Angela

Sarah@budgetfriendlydecorating June 1, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Your porch is absolutely lovely. I bet your M & M nights are so much fun!

Angela June 1, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Thanks, Sarah! We do have some fun! :)

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog June 2, 2012 at 6:11 pm

I’m on my way!! Save me some sangria. And a spot in that cozy patio. Thank you for linking up at our party! :)
Karah

Angela June 2, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Karah, I’ll save your spot…hurry!!! ;)
Thanks for hosting!
~Angela

Linda @ it all started with paint June 2, 2012 at 11:58 pm

I love the idea of your summertime porch parties with your neighbors (and I would probably do a theme thing too sans costumes; don’t think I could get the hubby on board for that!)…

… and so very happy you shared your amazing porch and summer neighbor fun at our Great Outdoors link party!

Linda

Angela June 5, 2012 at 1:14 am

Linda, thanks for hosting!! {I have one friend who would totally go for costumes, but she would be the only one!}

Kelly @ Eclectically Vintage June 4, 2012 at 3:00 am

Love white sangria, love your porch and theme and wish I was your neighbor! And I love all things chalkboard so having one outside is fabulous!

What a fun night – sounds like a great group of gals.

So glad you joined our Outdoors party.
Kelly

Angela June 5, 2012 at 1:16 am

Kelly, I just bring the chalkboard out for parties. It’s normally in my dining room…just in case you have one inside you could take out! ;) Thanks for hosting!

Julie August 19, 2012 at 2:00 am

So beautiful Angela! First I have to tell you I almost named my last born Angela! Very pretty name…I love everything you have done with your home. You have the eye and great talent!!

~ Julie